CPAP with nasal pillows - starting to hurt

feels_so_good
on 8/21/14 12:12 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

Before surgery, I had my static pressure (15) changed to a Bipap (sp) - a variable setting (9-15).

Over the last 4 weeks it has started to become painful and getting worse.  Painful to remove - it stings! Also, it has turned painful to the point it wakes me up during the night and I can't go back to bed until I remove the nasal pillow. The pain is on the inside of my nose - different than when I started and the the skin where the nasal pillow touched was sensitive.

Anyone else experience this?

I've searched the OH archives but not anything about pain (wondering if it's from to much pressure). 

Got a call into my sleep Dr. Just sooo tired of Dr. appointments, and time off work, and wondering if there is an easier answer than another sleep study.

p.s. I love(d) my cpap (2+ years of use). It helped my mood, energy, and alertness. I don't know if I would have followed through will all the meetings and testing for WLS if I hadn't got the CPAP.  

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

chriswife19
on 8/21/14 12:17 pm
VSG on 05/28/14

I had to turn up the humidity on mine.  That gave me relief.

Highest weight - 260  Surgery weight - 197.5  Current Weight - 152

happyteacher
on 8/21/14 10:46 pm

I used to work in a sleep lab before I was a teacher...

The comment above about humidity will likely resolve your issue.  If not, the comment below about changing the style of mask will also work.  My lab rarely gave nasal pillows out- only for patients that had issues with feeling claustrophobic. If this applies to you, since you now have 2 years experience with the Cpap you may find the mask the covers the nose (not the mouth) more comfortable. Most people wear a size medium in that style mask, but if you have wide nostrils then  likely a large. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

jenorama
on 8/21/14 1:12 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I didn't find the nasal pillows comfortable--I used the mask that covered the nose area. Maybe you need a different mask or different size nasal pillow?

Jen

mickeymantle
on 8/21/14 3:13 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

try  a new pillow sometimes there not molded right and it hurts to wear them

I was told before surgery to have it adjusted to below 10

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 8/21/14 11:04 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

They have come a long ways in making the masks so much more comfortable. I personally hate nasal pillows. Do they have a CPAP express near you? They are great and have a huge selection.

civilmomma
on 8/21/14 11:43 pm
VSG on 03/07/14

Make sure you are using the humidifier (distilled water is what my husband prefers) and you can always try a different mask that doesn't put direct pressure on your nostrils.  My husband has had CPAP for 8 years now (variable up to 13 I believe) and he has had a variety of different masks. 

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Hislady
on 8/22/14 4:19 am - Vancouver, WA

I use oxygen so not sure if this applies to the c-pa*****t but my nasal cavities get really dry. My humidifier just makes water drip down my face so I use Ayers nasal saline gel. It has aloe gel in it and is very soothing while anything is healing plus keeps your nose moist. A little goes a long way so the small tube lasts quite awhile.

chriswife19
on 9/7/14 9:09 am
VSG on 05/28/14

A couple of winters ago I caught a terrible respiratory bug that had me in bed for weeks.  That nasal gel was a godsend for me at that time. 

Highest weight - 260  Surgery weight - 197.5  Current Weight - 152

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/22/14 6:05 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My original levels using a BiPap were 18/14 which worked for me up until three months post surgery.  I couldn't get the mask (triangular shape that covers the nose only) to fit properly and always felt like the pressure was blowing my face off.  I returned to my sleep center for a consultation and they reduced the pressure considerably.  I also was fitted for a different brand of mask which felt much more comfortable.  My BiPap unit has a humidity chamber that requires distilled water.

You probably won't require another sleep study, but you're right to call the sleep doctor and let them know what's going on.  Big changes occur with your apnea in a short time post surgery.  I still have problems with leaks, but was told to keep using the BiPap until I lose more weight.  Once I get closer to goal, I'll have another sleep study to see if I even need the BiPap anymore.

Good luck to you.  My guess is that your settings need adjustment again. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views