2 weeks out and difficult to eat

sburton
on 9/1/14 12:31 am

Hi  everyone,

I am two weeks out from my surgery and have a lot of upper back pain between my shoulder blades after I eat or drink. I   am on a PPI and zantac . I could only eat a few small bites of greek yogurt this morning  . I only had clear liquids yesterday to give myself a break from the discomfort. I am sooooo tired and no energy. Is this normal at this stage. I am worried a bit. I do have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow. Just wondered if others have had this .

thanks,

Sylvia

Valerie G.
on 9/1/14 12:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I was extremely listless for a good 5 weeks post op, but that being said - do make sure you're getting 64oz of fluids daily.  Dehydration also causes fatigue.  The pain may be due to gas bubbles lodged, too.  Try some movements aimed at changing position of your shoulder area, stretches to the side and such.  It's worth a try.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Erika C.
on 9/1/14 1:06 am - Heath

Sylvia, I am five weeks post-op and had the listlessness at two weeks, too. Assuming you doc has checked out the upper back pain then I agree with the other response. Walking takes care of a lot of ills - I have also found I lose a lot more when I even walk for 20 minutes in a given day. I still struggle with eating a little bit, but clear liquids work well and protein shakes are still my go to meal. Easy and no guessing. I have tried watered down refrained beans, but am so full after two teaspoons that I couldn't take another bite without being sick. It gets better. I hope you start feeling better with eCh passing day - I know I have since about my third week post op. 

Gwen M.
on 9/1/14 2:20 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Totally normal at this stage - you're two weeks out from major surgery!  It's great that you're seeing your doc tomorrow, hopefully you'll get good information.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Amber G.
on 9/1/14 5:59 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Hey Sylvia! I remember at 2 weeks out, I was not able to get much in at all too. I was lucky to eat half of 1/4 cup of blended soup or even yogurt too. It can be really rough the 1st few weeks to a month out after surgery. One thing I can tell you though, is it is only temporary :) It will get better soon. I did get dehydrated earlier on (within 2 weeks) and had to go get fluids. During that time, I was nauseous, did not want to eat, and felt like crap all around. May be something to also have the Doc check tomorrow. Hope you feel better soon :) 

Most Active