Don't get it?????

wchillhowell
on 9/1/14 11:35 am

I was sleeved on August 26,2014. My weight was at 343 lbs. By surgery time I was down to 328lbs. After 4 days somehow my weight dropped to 311lbs which I knew was because I could not keep any food or water down. What puzzles me is that on the 4th day I was able to pass wind and keep food down. I had low-fat yogurt in the morning,low calorie  tomato soup for lunch and dinner, and sugar-free pudding or jello as a dessert. In addition, also my water and protein-not fruit juices or liquid calories? I first noticed on the 5th day my weight jumped to 313 lbs, than 315 that evening. This morning 315 lbs and now I am BACK up to 318 lbs!!! Now I understand that I would not lose any more weight that quickly with liquid food going down but how can I GAIN on less than 800 calories a day??? At most shouldn't weight remain the same?  I'm scared to weigh myself tomorrow for fear of seeing 321 lbs and the eventually climb back up the scale!! Did anyone else experience this? Am I doing something wrong? I'm almost back to the "I knew it would not work with me, just for everyone else" It's so discouraging-only I could gain weight on 800 calories a day! Please tell me it's just a phase and no I am not eating hidden calories! Amy help?

RPH
on 9/1/14 11:53 am
VSG on 09/03/14

I have not had surgery yet.  However, if it helps, I can tell you that my surgeon told me to expect fluctuating weight in the first weeks following surgery due to water retention and loss and advised against daily weigh-ins since they can be discouraging.  He said that as long as I'm on plan that over the longterm the weight will come off.  Good luck to you.

Gwen M.
on 9/1/14 11:55 am, edited 9/1/14 11:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Day to day fluctuations are crazy.  If they're going to bother you, you should only weigh yourself once a week.  Otherwise, try to remember that you can't possibly gain weight on 800 calories a day - it's fluids, swelling, water retention, lack of a good poop, any other number of things.  

I highly recommend using TrendWeight to track your weight - it really helps me to focus on the trend of my weight instead of on day to day fluctuations.  

(You might also want to replace the batteries in your scale, just in case.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Justme7
on 9/1/14 11:58 am - ID

This sounds crazy maybe it is time for a new scale. I know that my scale is a piece of trash. I weigh several times to make sure it is giving me an accurate figure. Sometimes it will give me a 4 pound difference when I weigh two times in a row seconds apart. 

Justme7

NLHRN
on 9/1/14 12:27 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

I was also VSG'd on 8/26..no n/v at all home the next evening. My Dr. Has me on clear liq for 1 week then full liq. For a week then after I see him on the 11th he may advance me to stg 3 soft foods. 

As for the daily weighing...NO WAY could I do that in fact I haven't gotten weighed and won't  until I go for my post op visit. 

I say stop weighing daily and let the new life u r starting take it's course!!

Best Wishes!!

HW-410  Consult-380  SW-364.4 

1/12/15-310.2lbs

mickeymantle
on 9/1/14 4:23 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you are just starting to replace the food that was in your digestive track and fluids in your body , they can easily be more than 5 lb you also still have swelling ,

if you follow your plan you will lose , don't go crazy weighing yourself every day

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Sara T.
on 9/1/14 4:45 pm
with

I'm still pre-op so take this with a grain of salt. Your body fluctuates day to day no matter what, weigh once a week. And since you are finally keeping liquid down you'll "put on" water weight. In other words your body is re hydrating itself. 

wchillhowell
on 9/1/14 11:37 pm

Whew! Thank you guys! It's good to have those who have been there for the support, encouragement and empathy. I'll just weight in once a week after I feel strong and can start exercising. My other concern is I went and bought a case of the New Whey Protein thinking that at 42 grams a shot and no calories or sugar I would just need to mix two per day with my water. Now, from what I hear the New Whey Protein isn't actually protein? That the 42 grams of protein is not absorbent? Great, so exactly what Protein should I be using? If I use the EAS Whey Protein shakes which I love, it is only at 20 grams per scoop but has 150 calories. If I have 4 of those per day to get in my 80 grams of protein, it will also carry along with it 600 calories in addition to the 3 meals and snack I'm suppose to have. Am I suppose to be replacing those meals with the protein shakes? As you can see, I don't quite have this down yet. Need some help. Thanks.

Kelly Jean
on 9/2/14 12:05 am
VSG on 04/08/14

Don't let it stress you out !!! It will go up and down for the first few weeks like said above!!! Put the scale away and pick a certain day of the week to weigh in if you can... I'm the type that has to weigh in every day but for the most part I'm a it is what it is type ... if I don't loose it won't make me to nuts... but if it did I'd put it away!!! Good luck it will happen you will loose !!! :-)

♡ Kelly

Most Active