Well that hurt : (

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/14 2:38 pm - AZ

Went for my 6 month post op visit last friday.. that portion went well.

But, while in the waiting room a lady says to me "my daughter is also getting surgery soon, when will you be having yours?"

I responded with "I had mine 6 months ago"

she then says "OH! really?? I thought people lost alot of weight with this? but I guess thats not always the case"

I wanted to cry! I wanted to say "Biatch I lost almost 100 lbs in 6 months!" but I just said nothing at all...

This really upset me.. It's bad enough I still see me the same.. but for someone I dont know, to point out that Im still fat hurt my feelings..

just wanted to get that out, because it's been bothering me all weekend...

pineview01
on 9/1/14 2:46 pm - Davison, MI

I see your need to vent.  Some people think you have this surgery and lose over night.  Boy will she be surprised when her daughter doesn't.  Her whole response was rude.  You could have lost 2/3 hundred for all she knows.  100 pounds in 6 months if absolutely awesome.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/14 2:52 pm - AZ

Thank you..

LovingEsme00
on 9/1/14 3:02 pm

People just have no clue. You've done amazing! Don't let ignorance get you down. Keep up the great work! I'm a newbie (5wks post op) and I only hope to be as successful as you 😊

~Esme

VSG on 7/28/14!

Age: 34 5'5" HW: 304, SW: 284, CW: 247 (10/13/14) GW: 165

M1: 22, M2:8, M3:?

esther
on 9/1/14 3:21 pm - vallejo, CA

People can be rude and mean without even knowing it.  A 100 lb loss is a big deal.  You have been doing great to have lost so much in 6 months.  I bet you look totally different from when you had the surgery.  Some of us have a longer journey than others.  Not everyone is going to understand that.  I hope you have good people in your life that are supportive and giving you good feedback. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/14 3:27 pm - AZ
On September 1, 2014 at 10:21 PM Pacific Time, esther wrote:

People can be rude and mean without even knowing it.  A 100 lb loss is a big deal.  You have been doing great to have lost so much in 6 months.  I bet you look totally different from when you had the surgery.  Some of us have a longer journey than others.  Not everyone is going to understand that.  I hope you have good people in your life that are supportive and giving you good feedback. 

Thank you. I do have people that are supportive & they remind me daily that I am doing great..

It was just hard that I went in to my appt. happy and proud of myself.. Just to be reminded.. that even though I may have lost all this weight, I AM still obese..

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/14 3:21 pm - AZ

Thank you Esme

cappy11448
on 9/1/14 3:25 pm

When I went in for my 6 month check up post surgery, someone asked me if I had surgery yet, also.  I had lost over 100 pounds, too.  I had been doing so well.  It stung a little. But the good news is, now people tell me they can't believe I was ever overweight!  I like that better. 

It won't be long, and the obesity starts feeling like a distant memory!

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/14 3:30 pm - AZ
On September 1, 2014 at 10:25 PM Pacific Time, cappy11448 wrote:

When I went in for my 6 month check up post surgery, someone asked me if I had surgery yet, also.  I had lost over 100 pounds, too.  I had been doing so well.  It stung a little. But the good news is, now people tell me they can't believe I was ever overweight!  I like that better. 

It won't be long, and the obesity starts feeling like a distant memory!

best wishes,

Carol

Thank you Carol.. You are one I have looked up to through this whole process!

Calaska
on 9/1/14 3:36 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

This reminds me of the time I went to the grocery store several weeks after having my first baby. It was the first time I went out in public alone since the birth. The checkout girl asked me when I was due. I had put on about 40 pounds, ans was not proud of that. 

Usually I become speechless when confronted by rude and ignorant comments. If it ever happens to me, my go-to response will be "I can't believe you actually said that!"

I hope I'm half as successful as you are at six months out!  You keep going, you're going to get there!

~Jan 

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

Most Active