Considering gastric sleeve with BMI of 35

renee_727
on 9/23/14 4:43 am

I am just beginning the process of researching a gastric sleeve.  I am a nurse and I have cared for patients after gastric sleeve and roux-en-y, so I feel that I understand the surgical risks and the worst case scenarios.

I have Anthem as my insurance.

A few questions:

Has anyone had success getting approval for a sleeve with a BMI and 35 and 2 related health conditions?

Has anyone here had the surgery at a similar BMI and are you happy with your choice or regretful?

I have been overweight all of my adult life, and especially since having children.  I have lost 50 lbs several times, but I always gain it back, plus a few bonus pounds.  I have tried Weigh****chers 4 times, NutriSystem, LA Weight Loss, The Zone, just to name a few.  The older I get, it is of course becoming very easy for me to gain and very hard to lose.

I would just like to hear some thoughts about having surgery at a BMI under 40.  I had originally considered a lap band, but after doing research I am not sure that is the right way to go.

Thanks!

SnowbirdBaja
on 9/23/14 7:23 am
VSG on 08/08/14

I had my sleeve with a BMI of 36, so far so good! I am 7 weeks out and have lost  38 lbs.    I too have lost this weight before but  I feel so mu*****ontrol with the sleeve. It really helps me keep on track.   I am 62 and yes it got  harder and harder each year.  I plan to make this the LAST time I need to lose the weight and am very happy with the help the sleeve gives me.    It basically does not let me  forget it is there.    The band was not a serious consideration for me after just  2 minutes of research.  If I want something to last the rest of my life I need a permanent non reversible tool like the sleeve. 

VSG  WITH DR WILHELMY      08/14      SLOW LIVING IN BAJA U_U

luvmypuggies
on 9/23/14 8:04 am

I was around a 34 BMI when I had my surgery (self-pay).  I'm 50 years old and I finally faced the fact that I just couldn't do it alone - I wanted to "fix" my problem and become healthy and fit for the long run, and do it before all the obesity related health issues started popping up.  I was so sick of beating myself up for being a failure. No regrets, have lost 64 lbs so far with another 20 or so to go, depending on how I feel and look. 

I can't recommend this surgery enough!!  Good luck with your decision!

renee_727
on 9/23/14 8:10 am

Thank you both for your replies.  I think my struggle will be with the insurance company.  I cannot self-pay (wish I could, but it just is not realistic).  I am going to an info session in two weeks, so I should know more then.

jenn1469
on 9/23/14 8:35 am

My bmi was 36 day of surgery and yes i feel i lose slower than people on here with a higher bmi...but I'm losing i  have lost 15 inches in my wrist in 4 mos and 48 pounds.

Jennifer

renee_727
on 9/23/14 10:05 am

Did you have difficulty getting insurance approval?

Kathy8429
on 9/23/14 10:38 am

My bmi was in the upper 30s. I got all the records from weigh****chers and other paid diet programs. I was approved on the first try. I'm not sure why I was approved so quickly. Despite some complications this was a positive move. Oh and I had umr

Racewalker48
on 9/23/14 11:04 am, edited 9/24/14 12:40 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

I had RNY with a BMI of 35 and 4 comorbidities.  Like you, I have tried everything it seemed and could lose 20-50 lbs, then gained it back (with a little extra).  I was surprised at how easy it was for me to be approved by my insurance.  I can only assume that my employer's plan is rather generous.  I am very happy with my choice, as I would not have been able to lose this weight on my own.  In fact, I had once considered the band, but changed my mind once I researched all 3 surgeries (I did not consider the DS).

White Dove
on 9/23/14 1:29 pm - Warren, OH

Your insurance company can tell you the guidelines for your policy.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Greeninparadise
on 9/23/14 2:53 pm - Paradise, CA
VSG on 09/02/14

I had a BMI of 35.6 with 3 co morbities. I was required to have a nutritional and psychiatric evaluation which is required and to have a cardiac clearance.  I also had to write down all of my attempts to lose weight from the last few years.  I have Blue Cross Blue Shield and they approved it in one day. 

I am 3 weeks post op and have cut my insulin in half and no longer take blood pressure medicine  

my center in Northern California won't do lap bands  

wish you success in your journey  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 28 views