Pregnant and gaining rapidly

ACBrequelle
on 9/23/14 6:46 am

Hello! I'm hoping for help from you all. I had my VSG 2 years ago and never made it to my goal. I got pregnant and in 20 short weeks I have gained nearly 20#!!! I'm depressed which just makes me want to eat more. I'm back up to 215 and only 1/2 way through my pregnancy. Oh, and I crave sweets badly! 

How many calories should I be consuming to prevent excess gain? My OB has never had a VSG patient so she wasn't much help. I don't want to ruin this surgery. 😢

jenn1469
on 9/23/14 6:52 am

My doctor told me during pregnancy you should only gain 40 pounds.  AS FAR FOOD INTAKE ASK YOUR SERGON

Jennifer

Kelly Jean
on 9/23/14 8:36 am
VSG on 04/08/14

You really need to ask your obgyn and even your surgeon that question!!! Not anyone here for your sake and the babies!!! What I did before sleeve is totally different then with sleeve !!!! Best of luck to you and your beautiful baby!!! Congratulations! !!! :-)

♡ Kelly

cconroy55
on 9/25/14 3:31 am

There is a woman in the group at my surgeon's office who just had a baby - and she did gain 40 lbs, and now she is right back on plan, and says she is feeling fine, and has already lost quite a bit of weight.  So do follow your doctor's recommendations and just know that you can get right back on plan after you welcome your new little one.  Your growing baby still needs all that good protein, so don't skimp there!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/25/14 1:48 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Contact your surgeon, and perhaps s/he can get you in touch with an OB that has worked with surgery patients before. (They often refer out so the surgeon may have some names handy.)

Calorie counts should be left up to the experts. From what I've been told, though-- as a woman 9 months post-op who'll hopefully be knocked up a year from now-- that's not the quantity of calories so much as QUALITY of calories. Weight can be lost later, especially with the sleeve as a tool, but problems caused by prenatal deficiencies are MUCH harder to deal with. 

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active