Pre-op nerves. Need some encouragement.

jalyhun
on 10/1/14 6:42 pm

I'm scheduled for surgery first thing Friday morning.  The nerves are just starting to hit me.  I'm not nervous about the surgery itself.  I'm just very anxious about how I will be feeling after surgery.  Wondering how bad the pain and nausea will be.  I know it is different for everybody, but I am hoping to hear some encouraging stories/experiences of how you felt immediately post op.  Thank you!

HW-257 CW-241  VSG Surgery Date- 10/3/14

J Connel
on 10/1/14 9:04 pm
VSG on 04/13/15

I would imagine what you are experiencing is quite normal.  I totally anticipate feeling the exact same way when my date arrives (I'm in the supervised 90 day piece right now).  I'd have to guess that physically it will be a very small inconvenience to the amount of pride and excitement you feel about starting your new journey, your new life.  I have read so many people experience different levels of discomfort, but I doubt it's anything beyond what you have already experienced with being overweight and what type of pain that can cause on a daily basis, you know?  Although I can't share a post op story at this point, I can say that you totally got this!

Wanda1118
on 10/1/14 10:02 pm
VSG on 07/09/14

I am almost 3 months post op. Immediately after surgery I was groggy but felt great! Next day I ordered me up a tray and had broth, sf popsicle and sf iced tea. The broth suck but the rest was wonderful. The hospital also gave me a band to wear across my abdomen and it felt really good until I laid down and fell asleep and the band slipped! I had a burning pain so bad that no one knew what was going on. This pain last about 2 weeks. Surgeon said some people just have this and I might experience this from time to time and I do but it's livable now..comes and goes about that quick. It is worth it since I have lost about 65 pounds. Everyone is scared before surgery, I  was terrified of the unknown but hey it wasn't even half as bad as I imagined. Remember to walk walk walk and drink drink drink  (water that is lol) and you will be fine! Good luck and see you on the losers bench!

Dawn ..
on 10/1/14 10:50 pm - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

My surgery was the 23rd. I had bouts of nausea and vomitting but I have always had a picky tummy. I stopped my pain meds 5 hours after surgery and haven't had any issues. I was pretty groggy right after surgery. My weight loss clinic RN and my sister said I had had a full conversation with them in the recovery room, and I don't remember any of it. Once I got to my room, the gave me IVs and ice chips and I began feeling better. I got up and walked for about 10 minutes a couple hours after I came out of the fog. Make sure you walk as much as you can, it really does help work the gas and bloaty feeling out. It also helped me to lay on my left side for some reason.

The hardest part for me is the eating slowly, chewing, chewing, chewing, waiting between bites, and not gulping my water.

You will do fine and trust me, your worries are not uncommon, I had the same ones 

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

BurberryPlaid
on 10/1/14 11:33 pm, edited 10/1/14 11:36 pm - MA
VSG on 09/29/14

Hi!

i was sleeved on Monday. I was nervous about how I'd feel but actually it wasn't too bad. The only time I had surgery previously to remove my gallbladder I was so nauseous afterwards. When I met with anesthesiology I was sure to tell them that and they noted it on my file. When I came in to be prepped they gave me a patch for nausea and informed me something would be put in my IV as well.

When I woke up I didn't feel the least bit nauseous. I definitely felt pain in my belly on the right side where the biggest incisions were and it felt like someone was sitting on my chest because of all the gas but I told them that and they gave me pain meds right away. From there on out I felt some discomfort but nothing too unbearable...mainly just sore. 

My advice is to be honest about your concerns and issues. Your care team should be able to give you whatever you need to relieve your symptoms. 

Good luck...you're going to do great!!!

Luvmygs
on 10/2/14 1:17 am
VSG on 12/04/14
How exciting! Just remember to keep the nurses and doctors alert on how you're feeling. Good luck and keep us posted.
Amber G.
on 10/2/14 1:44 am
VSG on 04/02/14

I think it**** or miss with how everyone feels right after surgery. The one great thing though is, if it is bad, it is only temporary :) The 1st month is hard in general for most, as you are go though major physical and emotional changes. But it is TOTALLY worth, and will pass! You are going to do great! Congrats on your surgery and new beginning! 

Most Active