protein foods for traveling

cappy11448
on 10/22/14 6:47 am

Hi All,

I am flying to Europe this weekend, and last time I flew, I was stunned at how unhealthy the food was.  The airline served meals like spaghetti with pesto sauce (with no meat or cheese)  and breakfast was all carbs, croissant with jams, again no protein.  I know once I'm on the cruise ship I'll be all set.  They have an outdoor poolside grill that serves lamb kabobs all day long.  But I am wondering what is the best food to bring on the plane. I bought some nuts and will take those, but they are a bit high in calories, but at least reasonable in carbs.  Any other ideas?

thanks,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

jenn1469
on 10/22/14 6:59 am

Beef jerky

grandma_tammy53
on 10/22/14 7:01 am

What about those packaged beef sticks.  I found one at a local gas station that is angus beef - low fat and not many calories.  sorry but I can't remember exactly how many but I believe it was under 100 for a 2 oz stick.  It was actually very tasty.  They also have packaged beef and cheese sticks in the same area.  They don't need any refrigeration.

nonsenseprecious
on 10/22/14 7:11 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Dry-roasted and freeze-dried edamame are a pretty decent source of protein, as are dry-roasted chickpeas. You could try bringing some pre-measured protein powder to mix into milk or yogurt, maybe. I put single-serving containers of Sabra hummus (I buy them at Safeway or Target) in my kids' lunches; they're small enough to get through security, and if you freeze them, they'd stay cold and thaw by the time you were ready to eat them. Maybe some protein bars or Babybel cheese? Have a lovely trip!

t3dsmom
on 10/22/14 7:22 am

Baby BonBel cheese,  string cheese, nuts and protein bars, also check ahead of time with the Airline, they do have certain menu items for restricted diets , ie. Kosher , low sodium etc. Chicken or fish.....Nashua Nutrition has a whole section on snacks. As long a your food is in a sealed ( packaged) wrapper you should be good to go. If you have any layovers you can grab a burger(minus the fries or chicken patty). Just a little thinking ahead and you should be good to go. We did  the long flight to Alaska  from the East Coast and it's manageable. Good luck and have a great time!

LovesDoggs
on 10/22/14 7:40 am - Clayton, CA

I've done three trips since my surgery.  On the first one I brought everything...protein drinks (syntrax nectar grapefruit, healthwise hot coco...etc.) jerky, ostrich sticks, fiber powder, vitamins and a metal drink cup to mix my morning protein coco with my coffee.  I even bought a little water kettle to boil water. I brought a power converter of course.   It worked out really well.  I could mix a protein chicken broth with ho****er at the end of the day if I didn't get enough meat that day.  

My second trip didn't go as well.  I wasn't as nervous and didn't pack as thoroughly.  I regretted it.  Having the little kettle to boil water work well on the first trip.  It kept me on track with a nice broth at night if I hadn't gotten enough in or I could have a coco.  So, the second trip was a bit of a pain and I back slid in my habits.

The third trip was to Italy...the pasta capital.  Luckily they serve lots of beautiful fish too and Caprese salads were available everywhere.  I snacked on my jerky and had my morning protein coco/coffee.  I did just fine.  I found a small electronic device that fits in my metal coffee mug that will heat the water. I like the little kettle better but the small heating device worked.  If you have room, bring the kettle.  The coffee mug I bought as Costco.   The lid screws on well and does not leak.  I had a different one on my second trip that leaked and was a complete pain.

Good luck on your trip.  If you plan and pack ahead it will be easy.

2ndtimesacharm
on 10/22/14 8:47 am

I brought protein bars with me on my recent trip 

great snack and helped get my protein in!! 

Dawn ..
on 10/22/14 9:09 am - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

Beef or turkey jerky. Cheese sticks, almonds, pumpkin seeds.

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

sillymilly
on 10/22/14 9:45 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

How about making up a batch of pepperoni chips for snacking on?  Or just bring along some regular or turkey pepperoni slices and some cheese slices.  Or the handy old packet of tuna.  

Breakfast would be the hard one for me, because I either need some hot meat or eggs, or some cold yogurt.  Can't think of anything that doesn't need heat/refrigeration except for protein bars.

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

mickeymantle
on 10/22/14 9:59 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

King Cheese - Spirella Minis (Sliced Mozzarella and Prosciutto  sold at cocstco

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active