1 Week Post-Op VSG - Major Head Game!

missmonica78
on 10/22/14 7:27 am

Hi All,

I'm 8 days post op VSG and I swear this is one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life.  I feel no physical hunger, but the head hunger is almost unbearable.  I know I talked myself out of going to KFC like 10 times today to get mashed potatoes.  In my mind, if I could have a tomato with salt and pepper, I would be fine.  A tomato!!  The mental aspect of this is so challenging.  Thank God for these boards because no one in my "real life" really understands what I'm going through.  Pre-ops, please understand that when you wake up from surgery, life really starts, and it won't be all roses and buttercups.  Food addiction is real and this surgery forces you to deal with it.  Before, I read posts where people had a bite of this and a bite of that post op when they weren't supposed to and I was appalled.  Now, I understand.  Even with the eminent danger of harming yourself by eating something earlier that you're supposed to, the thought of it and the desire for it is still there (at least for me) and it's scary. 

During my surgery 8 days ago, the stapling system stopped working towards the end, so my doctor had to suture my stomach the rest of the way, then suture over the entire staple line.  When attempting to remove the "old" stomach, stomach juices apparently emptied into my body cavity and it had to be irrigated.  I still have a JP drain and I can't have it removed until I'm emptying less than 20 ccs a day.  I'm at about 40 right now.  I never expected this.  So, I will say to pre-ops, wish for the best, but understand that you may have to deal with the unexpected.

Thank you guys for letting me vent.  I believe that I'm stronger than my food addiction.  I will not be going to KFC, nor will I be eating tomatoes.  I will put on my big girl panties and suck it up until I can have purees, which is only 6 days away.  Sometimes you just need a listening ear from someone who knows what you're going through.

jenn1469
on 10/22/14 7:36 am

You can do this just stay strong and keep your but out the drive threw lol

Jennifer

missmonica78
on 10/22/14 7:40 am

I know.  I promise I haven't been through the drive through.  LOL. 

LovesDoggs
on 10/22/14 7:44 am - Clayton, CA

You can do it.  Just being brave enough to have this surgery is the hardest part.  I can't believe how I chew my food now.  What a change.  I'm getting so much better at everything.  You will too.  Just don't touch anything you are not supposed to.  Work it.  You are going to be sooooo darn happy.  My feet do a happy dance every night now that the pain in them is gone.  I can't tell you how good it feels.

Stay strong. We are all with you. 

T. Kaupp

HW 241 SW 226 GW 140  CW 3/23/15   147   I can do this!!

missmonica78
on 10/22/14 8:30 am

I can't wait to have that feeling.  I can't even imagine it right now, but I have to focus on the fact that it will all come in time!

ladyjag03
on 10/22/14 7:48 am

Very good post! Mind Over Matter! You got this! YOU are stronger than your food addiction!

VSG w/ Dr. Kligman (UMMC): 10/9/14

missmonica78
on 10/22/14 8:30 am

Thanks for your encouragement!

Dawn ..
on 10/22/14 8:03 am - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

You can do this MsMonica. Stay the course, follow your plan and you will get through. 

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

missmonica78
on 10/22/14 8:31 am

I'm definitely staying the course.  Thanks!

Quanita L.
on 10/22/14 8:12 am - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

Hi
I was one of those post ops that ate something that I thought would be smooth enough (in the first week post op) and threw up. Luckily I didn't have complications at the time or harm myself.  The next trick, if you are up for it (I wasn't - I didn't even really know I had an issue - I will put it down to being naive and in denial); is about trying to figure out what the head hunger is about.

I am an emotional eater for what I always said all sorts of emotions both good and bad and even boredom.

This time I am on my pre-op diet, started it early and haven't even considered cheating or a last meal or anything like that (like I did last time); I have discovered even if each of the emotions that drives me to want to eat is different, there is a pretty consistent reasoning and trigger behind it.

The more you conquer the head hunger the easier it will become.

The other thing I did wrong first time was when I could start eating more types of food, I suddenly "forgot" that head hunger was a thing.  I convinced myself subconsciously that head hunger was only when on liquids, since moving to solids any perceived hunger was actual hunger - no longer 'head hunger'.  It's still head hunger.

I had lots of adhesions first time (even though I had never had abdominal surgery) and my surgery took a long time and the surgeon had a tough time removing my tummy, I don't think it leaked fluids though.  I hope that your body recovers speedily and that your first piece of tomato is the best damned tomato you have ever had. (when it's safe).  You have already beaten this with your attitude and posting here about what you realised and sharing it with those who have not had the experience. 

Keep up the awesome.

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

Most Active