After picture of my meal

ElizaM
on 10/22/14 10:54 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

I'm like the sandwich filling vampire. Mwahahaha! The only sign that the sandwich had been disturbed at all was where two tiny, almost imperceptible holes could be seen in the bread... from where the toothpicks were removed. 

I tried to be sneaky about throwing it out, because I didn't want the staff to think there was anything wrong with the sandwich. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

lfenix
on 10/22/14 10:59 pm
VSG on 10/27/14 with

This is something that I'm worried about being able to handle.  I'm a card-carrying member of the clean-your-plate club, like most of us are, and I also have an issue with wasting money.  How did you learn to handle paying for something you throw away!???!  (I'm going to be sleeved on Monday, so I still can't imagine throwing food away...)

ElizaM
on 10/22/14 11:03 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

I hate throwing food away, too, but I'm getting to be ok with it. This was pretty unusual for me, though. I'm travelling, and I realized I wouldn't be back at my hotel room in time for my meal (waiting for me in the mini fridge), so I just ordered something and ate the insides of the sandwich. Yeah it kinda hurt paying $8 for two ounces of roast beef, but oh well, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. 

On a day to day basis, I eat home cooked food, OR if I'm eating out, I order something sleeve friendly and eat the leftovers for a few more meals. I do find that I have to be okay with leaving the last bite or bites uneaten. I will portion out my meal, get to the point where I'm full, and throw out the last few bites. It's really okay to do that. There's a learning curve. I got frustrated having a bunch of tupperwares with tiny amounts of food.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

lfenix
on 10/22/14 11:08 pm, edited 10/22/14 11:09 pm
VSG on 10/27/14 with

Thanks!  My sleeved friend says the same thing. She takes a lot of things home.  She says she eats a normal sized meal portion over the course of a few days.  Still, can't imagine that, but I guess I'm about to learn! :-)

greensleeved
on 10/23/14 6:24 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

I have this issue too. I usually end up reminding myself that the food will not go to hungry people. There are only two choices; it ends up in the trash or in my body. I'll take #1 every day.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Dakinbar Yes
on 10/22/14 11:45 pm
VSG on 05/07/14

Is that common for places to serve potato chips with a sandwich like that?!!! I've never seen that before.

Although I hate wasting food too, and used to always eat everything on the plate a few things have helped. One is that there is no way I'm ever going to be able to eat everything on the plate so I don't ever try. The second is that in terms of costly ingredients that's usually what I'm eating off the plate (the salmon, and then leaving the potatoes and salad for example). And thirdly is the realisation that whatever the cost of the meal I would be paying that anyway. So if I have to pay $12 for lunch somewhere, and I only eat a couple of bits of chicken, I just think, well I would have paid $12 anyway! Usually these situations are when I'm out with friends, and it helps me to focus on the fact that I'm there for the friendship and the meal is not the bit I'm supposed to be getting excited about :)

HW 309lb  CW 186 1/9/2015  GW 136     31yr old Female, 5ft3

ElizaM
on 10/22/14 11:57 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

Yeah, I've seen before it at diners and stuff! I definitely don't feel bad about wasting chips and bread.

mmsmom
on 10/22/14 11:56 pm - Woburn, MA

better to waste than to be on your waist :D

VSG on 04/28/2014

Luvmygs
on 10/23/14 12:08 am
VSG on 12/04/14

MMSMOM, I like that!

summer24
on 10/23/14 3:16 am

95% of the time that I eat out, I never order.  My co workers, spouse, family and friends all know me well enough to know that I'm  "light eater" and I "sample" everyone's food but order none of my own.  After so many years, they are used to it.  If I'm traveling alone for work, I will usually skip lunch and have a piece of fruit, and then if dining alone, just order a protein rich appetizer.

Most Active