Food timeline!

Aime-kay
on 10/22/14 9:21 pm

hey guys.. Would you mind sharing your food timeline from pre op to post op! What kinda diet were you on pre surgery and what after VSG. Also the transition periods from liquid to puréed to solids :) I will be grateful.

jenn1469
on 10/22/14 9:53 pm

I was on shakes for 48 hours before surgery. Post op all I could drink was 1.5 shakes first 2 weeks then purred for 2 weeks all I was able to eat was like a table spoon and I was full I ate beans soup cottage cheese grits sugar free appel sauce jello than 2 weeks of soft foods I ate ground beef fish canned chicken with gravey steamed veggies then any healthy food by this time I can eat 1 oz of meat and sometimes 2 bites of veggies oh I also ate eggs and string cheese during soft stage at 3 mouth I can eat 1.5 oz of meat and about 1 oz of veggies now I'm 4.5 months out and I eat 1 meal a day and 2 shakes and no snakes meal 2 oz of meat or fish and about 2 oz of steamed veggies

I have lost 53 pounds post op went from tight 16 or xx pants now size 6 or small I have about 35 more pounds to lose I weight 181 and 5' 7''

I eat about 600 calories a day and vitamins I take 3 calcium 2 multi and 2 biotin

Hope this helps

Jennifer

Aime-kay
on 10/22/14 10:09 pm

Thank you so much Jenn. That was really helpful.

What kind of multivitamins did you take? They usually come with a label to have them with a glass full of water. Sorry this may sound dumb but do we take them with just lil water as we can't have much of water as well. 

jenn1469
on 10/22/14 10:31 pm

You don't have to take any vitamin till 6 weeks post op i bought my first vitamin s from doctor they were 2 X's the price so now i buy on eBay or Amazon for multi chewable batruatic advantage at Walmart i buy calcium chewable they taste like candy i buy chocolate and this month i bought prenatal instead of biotin because it's like half the price and no I'm not pregnant lol my hair was falling out but now barley so i think prenatal is better

Jennifer

jenn1469
on 10/22/14 10:42 pm

Your bmi was the same as mine bmi was 36 good luck

Jennifer

Jiliana2
on 10/22/14 11:35 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

My center is a bit different. But here's my approximate food timeline:

3 weeks pre-op: prescription liquid diet (Optifast) 4 shakes per day, + clear broth, decaf tea or coffee and 20 extra calories

Surgery day to 2 days post-op: clear fluids (e.g., broth, tea, apple juice)

Days 3-6 post op: full fluids (e.g., protein shakes, thin yogourt, applesauce)

Days 7-12 post op: puréed foods (e.g., puréed soups, stews, continue with applesauce and yogourt)

Days 12-20: soft foods (wet, scrambled egg, soups, well-chewed cheeses or VERY well chewed ground beef was okayed by this time)

Days 21+: post-op diet (I added in sliced meats, stew, cheese strings, pickles, etc. bit by bit)

Keeping in mind that if at any point during this we encountered problems we were to back up and keep doing a previous step until we were ready to try again. I also saw my center twice during these phases and they okayed me for all of this. I was progressing well, didn't have problems healing, etc. So they were ready to move me along on the timeline appropriately.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

journeytome
on 10/23/14 12:23 am

My timeline is a lot different than the others on here. It just goes to show how different each surgeon is! I did not have a preoperative diet (which surprised me), I just had given up soda and sweetened drinks months before and cut down on breads. 

From surgery to 3 days post-op I was on a clear liquid diet- broth, apple juice, sugar free popsicles. All 1 oz. every 30 minutes

7 days on Full liquids-sugar free jello and puddings, decaf coffee and tea, fruit juice and anything from clear liquids. All 1 oz. every 30 minutes

2 weeks on Soft foods-eggs, cheese, chicken, fish, potatoes, ricotta cheese, cottage cheese , applesauce and anything from liquids. 1/4 cup 3 times a day.

and Finally regular foods, which I start in 2 days. 1/4 cup 3 times a day.

I am also supposed to add protein shakes (up to 2 a day) to supplement protein but I have not been able to find one that I can tolerate. They taste horrible to me no matter what i mix in...

Ngurley
on 9/6/16 1:44 pm
VSG on 09/01/16

I feel your pain! They all taste like medicine to me ?

ElizaM
on 10/23/14 1:47 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Pre op: 2 weeks of real food, 1000 calories, low carb

Post op: 

Clear liquids in hospital (broth, jello, water. Broth was the best.)

2 weeks of 3 protein shakes a day

2 weeks of pureed food + protein shakes as needed 

4 weeks of soft food + protein shakes

Then introduce food as tolerated. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Most Active