Liked the surgeon a lot... weirded out by the NUT

go_figure
on 10/26/14 11:26 am

So I had my first appointment with the surgeon about 10 days ago, and I really like him.  He was patient, answered all of my questions (seriously, there were a lot of them) and seemed genuinely interested in helping me make the decision that would be best for me (RNY vs. VSG).  I feel very comfortable with him.

The problem is, they had me meet with the nutritionist for the first time, and she struck me as a little off.  I am trying to give her the benefit of the doubt because I know she is covering for someone who went out on maternity leave, but I get the sense that she's not experienced with/comfortable around bariatric patients.  We talked about what I had eaten the day before, and she kept asking me if I told her EVERYTHING (I had).  She made several comments that seemed at best really awkward and at worst kind of insensitive.  For example, when I said that I never skip breakfast because I am ALWAYS starving, her response was, "at least you have an appetite in the morning.  most people don't."  I made a joke like, yeah, that appetite has never caused me any problems, and she just rolled her eyes.

She gave me a list of goals for the month between appointments (track food, cut sweets down to 1x per week, cut takeout down to 1x per week, watch portion sizes, etc-- basic stuff).  She literally said, "Now, when you decrease the portions, you're going to be hungry all the time, but you'll get used to it." Uhh, no.  That's why 20 years of dieting has failed.   I really got the sense that she didn't approve of my decision to pursue WLS.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this with surgeons' staff, and if I'm being overly sensitive.  Coming to this decision was not easy for me and if there is anywhere I would expect not to be judged for it, it would be in the surgeon's own office.  If I'm not overreacting, should I mention the comments to someone else at the office?  I can't imagine I was the only one who felt uncomfortable.

Carolyn W.
on 10/26/14 11:50 am

Seems to me like she was a little rude and didn't really understand you. I do agree with her that when you start to cut foods out (especially your pre-op diet) you will be very hungry and that you get used to. It's a week or two of pure hell, but I promise you that the pre-op diet is SO worth it. You just have to make it through the first few days and you will feel better. All the sugar/carbs leaving your body makes you feel crazy but that goes away after a few days. If it bothered you a lot, I would say something. She seemed very insensitive. Most people don't realize how hard it is unless they are in your position. Food can be a very dangerous addiction.

Mary Gee
on 10/26/14 9:12 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

It seems nutritionists are a "sore spot" for many people - if you use the search feature, you'll find lots of posts about "NUTS".

The guidelines she gave you seem reasonable.  Just roll with it - it's part of the program.  Your contact with her will be minimal in the long run - and if she's just filling in for someone on maternity leave, she may be gone in a month or two.  Don't let her rock your boat!  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Poodlemac
on 10/26/14 11:00 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I thought I was going to clobber the nut at my doctors office. I felt like she hates fat people. I had to pay to meet with her but when I asked her a question, she told me to read the materials. 

The hospital nut was a completely different story and I plan to see her in the future. I will not let someone I AM PAYING treat me the way the first one did. 

rumpole6
on 10/27/14 1:38 am

I had issues, too. The original NUT was just not really a people person. The original NUT has left the practice which has left me feeling vulnerable because I had figured out a way to work with her. Now I don't know who to call.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/14 2:48 am
with

I had a strange experience with the first one I talked too as well - I felt she really wasn't providing anything of value that A) I didn't already know or B) Couldn't have read on the internet - and I totally got the vibe that she looked down on me because of my weight. 

I would mention it to the doctor - maybe just in a casual comment like - "when will the regular NUT be back, I had sort of an odd experience with so and so" - he may not even realize its happening. 

Since I ended up not going with my insurance I found a NUT that I like and feel like she is actually educating me. 

Sometimes people don't gel but, don't let her get in the way of you making the choices that are right for you. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views