Pre-Op Kaiser Southern California Girl

Y D.
on 10/27/14 3:42 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Hi everyone!

I'm starting the process for VSG with Kaiser, just want to share my story and maybe make some new friends :)

Like so many here, I've struggled with my weight in my adult life (I'm 27). When I was younger, at a size 6/8 I was convinced I was heavy (i blame partial body dysmorphia and also being the "biggest one" in a naturally slim family)- and when I did start to actually put on weight, I had no idea until it was completely out of control. I would lose the weight through various attempts (low cal, low carb, atkins, sommersizing!!, hcg, medifast, medical weight control, personal trainers, etc.)- but i would inevitably stall out after about 40 lbs down, and gain it back plus more. I'm afraid if I don't stop it now I will be out of control, before I get to have children, which would break my heart. I want to have my surgery, and in a couple years when it's safe to do so, be able to start a family at a healthy weight.

So I went to Kaiser and started the process, got a referral from my PCP to the bariatrics program. Only problem is, the process takes about 9 months from start to surgery due to mandatory classes and delays. Sooo I did some research here, I have a grievance in with Kaiser as well as a procedural complaint in with the DMHC requesting to bypass the classes and get right to surgery. I am aware of the lifestyle changes before and after, and I submitted records from past medically supervised weight loss attempts, so I am hoping my requests are successful.

There are a lot of other personal situations contributing to the trime crunch; but since the classes are not medically or legally necessary, I am hoping to bypass that issue all together. I know the classes are very helpful to some people, but me, I'm a self-researcher and I'm ready to go.

Aside from the time line, my other fear is my bmi. I'm a 39 with no "serious" co-morbids. I have documented chronic neck and back pain which my dr. referred me for physical therapy for in the past. But i have not had my "official" weigh in for the program yet. My water weight makes the scale fluctuate wildly for me- but I'm worried being "right on the line" will be a reason to deny me surgery :(

Anyhow, that's my story, my goals, and my fears about this. I'm in North County San Diego, but I have access to the San Diego Options program as well as Health Ed in Corona. Hoping to make some friends here, and of course any advice or support on my situations are welcome.

bertgamble2001
on 10/27/14 10:41 pm - Willits, CA

Well you got further with Kaiser than I did, so good for you.  They kept telling me that even though I met the BMI and co-morbidity criteria, that I didn't look fat enough, so they wouldn't dot he referal.

I eventually gave up and just paid for it myself.  Very glad that I finally did it.

Hope it all works out for you.

Y D.
on 10/29/14 7:14 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

oh my gosh, that is unbelievable! when did that take place? did you file a complaint with the DMHC as well? what kind of surgery did you have? where did you end up having it?

I'm still early on in the process, but i'm hoping it works out

bertgamble2001
on 10/29/14 3:37 pm - Willits, CA

I started asking them about 5 or so years ago.  Once I decided to self pay, I went to them for surgical clearance and my PCP said that if I was willing to self pay, she would put in a refferal to have it done with them.  I said no, that I was already committed.  I did not file any complaints, because I didn't even think about it.

I had the VSG, and it was done in Las Vegas with Dr. Umbach.  I recommend him highly.

Best of luck to you

Most Active