Psych evaluation & insurance

Jennifer J.
on 10/28/14 8:21 am - Manassas, VA
with

so I recently went to the first part of my psych evaluation about two weeks ago, yesterday I got a letter in the mail from the insurance company (blue cross blue shield) stating that they didn't cover the psych evaluation because they don't consider evaluation for barbaric surgery a necessary need for a psychologist. They sent me some more information on how I can appeal it but idk if it'll even be worth doing. Also, the insurance company claims that they do not need the psych evaluation for barbaric surgery...so idk if it's just something the surgeon wants? Anyway...has anyone else had trouble getting a psych evaluation covered by their insurance as well?

Amy M.
on 10/28/14 8:40 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Unless you go self pay, I'm pretty sure all surgeons require a psych evaluation.  It's a really important part of the pre op process to make sure that you are mentally prepared for your new lifestyle and fully understand how big of a decision this is.  Some patients choose to continue seeing the psychologist or seek a therapist of their own after surgery to help with food addition and other issues related to WLS and how they are handling the changes they are going through.

My insurance plan contains a $1500 deductible which I maxed out right before my surgery date so my psych evaluation was not covered.  The psych I went to prefers to see bariatric patients 2 times before he clears them and my 2 visits were just under $100 each.  I am honestly surprised that your insurance doesn't cover it though.  Mine would have covered it if it weren't for my deductible.  Oh well.  Money well spent!

jclopez
on 10/28/14 12:36 pm

I have blue cross blue shield and they covered mine and my husband's no questions.

civilmomma
on 10/28/14 11:39 pm
VSG on 03/07/14
On October 28, 2014 at 7:36 PM Pacific Time, jclopez wrote:

I have blue cross blue shield and they covered mine and my husband's no questions.

Same for me...all covered (well I had to pay my deductible, but BCBS paid their part too.  I think BCBS required the psych eval b/c they are the ones *****quired this specific surgeon group with the "center of excellence" program that requires the psych eval as part of the program. 

I'd dig in a little more to see if you can get it covered.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

bellamorte17
on 10/28/14 2:21 pm
VSG on 09/10/14

I was also told I needed one as part of the pre-op. That was a lie! Insurance did not cover it to the tune of $1500. I appealed it twice. Make sure you are working with your insurance company to know exactly what their requirements are and then share that with your surgeon.  Its possible that they won't require it either.  Also make sure you are going to an approved facility. They may want you to go somewhere else for bariatric surgery. 

74KarenCA
on 10/29/14 6:50 am

I have Blue Shield HMO + they have covered everything so far, my psych eval, nutritionist talk, endoscopy and now my appointment/consultation with the surgeon today! When I called to confirm the approval for the appointment with the surgeon I wanted to clarify that this was just for the appointment and not the actual surgery (as I was hoping) and I was unfortunately correct. I've been approved to meet with the surgeon and all of the appointments up to this point but not the actual surgery yet.....

Good Luck to you & fingers crossed!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views