Why so much protein??

Missourimedic
on 10/24/14 3:01 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

Okay as you all know I was a self pay and have been take this new life of mine on my own with very little after care, not by my choose. S my question is this.

Why do we eat are protein first and why is it so important?

Why do some plans call for different types of aftercare of when to start full liquids, puree foods, soft foods, then solid foods?

Stacy_WLS
on 10/24/14 3:07 am

My nutritionist explained it that we need protein for our bodies to function (we need some fat & carbs too, but our body cannot product proteins itself).  Proteins help recuild cells as well as maintain muscle mass.  

Our sleeve limits the volume that we can eat -- so when we are restricted we need to eat the protein first to ensure we fill this need.  My nutritionist says to then eat veg then carbs.  some plans keep people away from carbs all together, but my surgeon's office wants a balanced plan w/ protein first!  

Also -- the benefit of dense protein is that it keeps you full longer :)

I hope this helps!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Missourimedic
on 10/24/14 3:12 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

very much thank you

Dimplezzz2002
on 10/24/14 3:37 am

Protein is vital to cell function but for me the most important thing about protein is the hair loss issue. Apparently around 3 months post-op some people start losing hair. I am mortified and horrified about this so I see protein as a tool to prevent or at the very least, minimize hair loss.

The reason we are asked to eat protein first is because of the smaller size of our stomachs, we get full much quicker than before. It is best, therefore, to eat your protein first so if you get full from eating your protein you won't have to worry about not get enough grams per day which my center calculated at a minimum of 60 grams per day.

Different programs have different requirements. At the Loyola Medical Center where my VSG was performed, the dietitian had me on 1200 calories per day. Once your surgery date is scheduled, the diet varies depending on your BMI. For example, if someone has a BMI of 50 or higher, two weeks pre-op they are restricted to a full liquid diet and a maximum of 800 calories per day. If your BMI is 49 or less, you are on the liquid diet for one week.

Your post-op diet is designed to slowly return to regular foods to give your new stomach time to adjust.  At my center while in the hospital, it was clear liquids, once home I was on 1-2 weeks of liquid and/or puréed foods. After that a soft diet for another 1-2 weeks, and then finally about four weeks post-op you can return to regular food, incorporating new foods one at a time to make sure your stomach can tolerate the new foods.

i would like to suggest you view some of the videos on YouTube by Dr. Michael Weiner. His videos are very informative.  Also if you are having trouble getting in all the protein I would like to suggest you purchase Healthy Shot from Hormel Labs. I was given this in the hospital after surgery and the beauty of it is there are 24 grams of protein in only 2.5 oz.

Good luck to you.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/24/14 4:43 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Protein intake will not prevent hair loss caused by telogen effluvium.  Google it and understand what it is.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Dimplezzz2002
on 10/24/14 1:21 pm

Thanks for the info. 

mickeymantle
on 10/24/14 3:45 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

if your body does not get enough protein it will start eating your muscles and organs  , I know a anerexic girls that will never be able to have kids because her body destroyed  her reproductive system 

dhe was lucky it wasn't her heart or other major organ

every surgeon has there own opinion  what is safe to eat when , alsom some surgeons make smaller sleeves than others this surgery is not standardized yet 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/24/14 4:00 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

When you start losing weight rapidly, you lose not only fat, but lean muscle mass.  Eating high volumes of protein help to provide your body with energy, plus you need it to heal after surgery.

If you eat dense protein first, it stays longer in your stomach and you feel full longer.  

Different surgeons have preferences on aftercare based on their knowledge and experience.  There is often no rhyme or reason for what they require, but it's always best to follow their recommendations.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Lamanda38
on 10/24/14 1:40 pm

I was told the same, that protein should be taken first, then vegetables or carbs. The protein not only takes care of the fullness but it also helps with hair growth, skin, etc. It is great that the doctors place us on plans that are in stages because I'm 2 months post and I can only eat 3 tablespoons of food. Good luck!

Most Active