second guessing myself

jclopez
on 10/28/14 4:11 am

My surgery is 12 days away and up until today I have been super excited about it. What changed is that my mom called and told me she didn't think I need it now that I have a new medication for my hypersomnia/narcolepsy and I am a lot more active now. I told her I still want it (and I do) and she said she doesn't think I'm big enough to need surgery. I think I am. My high weight was 280 and my current weight is 250 that's still a bmi above 40!  I know myself and normal diets only work for a few months and I know I would not be able to lose all that I want and keep it off without surgery. I actually eat very healthy foods my problem is portion control. I still feel I need this surgery but my mom went and planted that small seed of doubt. She did say she is just scared and uneasy about me only having part of my stomach. How do you handle people who don't want you to have the surgery? Ugghhh why did she have to say that especially waiting until 12 days before surgery when she had the last 6 months to say something. Sorry for the ranting just needed to vent. 

GoBlueGirl1998
on 10/28/14 4:35 am - MI

I'm sorry your Mom planted that seed in your head. I second guessed myself on my own about three months before surgery. I think its natural to second guess this regardless if it is you doing it on your own or someone else saying something. Like you I have been on normal diets (mostly weigh****chers) and I have always lost wieghtm but I never new how to maintain it. This sleeve is a tool to help lose and maintain. Keep on working on your, improving you and reclaim your health. In other words, do you!! Good luck, I wish youthe best!

hollykim
on 10/28/14 5:15 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 28, 2014 at 11:11 AM Pacific Time, jclopez wrote:

My surgery is 12 days away and up until today I have been super excited about it. What changed is that my mom called and told me she didn't think I need it now that I have a new medication for my hypersomnia/narcolepsy and I am a lot more active now. I told her I still want it (and I do) and she said she doesn't think I'm big enough to need surgery. I think I am. My high weight was 280 and my current weight is 250 that's still a bmi above 40!  I know myself and normal diets only work for a few months and I know I would not be able to lose all that I want and keep it off without surgery. I actually eat very healthy foods my problem is portion control. I still feel I need this surgery but my mom went and planted that small seed of doubt. She did say she is just scared and uneasy about me only having part of my stomach. How do you handle people who don't want you to have the surgery? Ugghhh why did she have to say that especially waiting until 12 days before surgery when she had the last 6 months to say something. Sorry for the ranting just needed to vent. 

you are totally right about everything you have said and your mom is totally wrong. I am assuming you are old enough to make your own decisions regardless of what your mom or anyone else says or jinks. This is your life and you have the right and the obligation to make the best decisions FOR YOUR sELF. Forget what she said. If she continues to go on with this tactic,I would refuse to discuss my surgery with her.

trust me,and trust yourself,you know yourself better than anyone. If you know this is what you need,don't let anyone change your kind.

gl

Gwen M.
on 10/28/14 6:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Your mom is not you, or your medical team, or really anyone with a valid opinion that you need to heed.  

How do I handle these people?  I thank them for their opinion and suggest they not bother to waste any more of their time (or mine) trying to change my mind on this choice that I've made.  Then I change the subject.  I repeat this as necessary until it gets the point across.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Valerie G.
on 10/28/14 6:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Mom is scared for you.  That's okay and perfectly normal.  Facts are that you are over 100lbs overweight, enough that complications of that weight can kill you.  Keep your eye on the prize.  She will love and support you through it all.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

weeziebeth
on 10/28/14 9:09 am

Yes, this.

jenn1469
on 10/28/14 7:30 am

My mom has been against it since I told her I was getting it. I'm 5 mos post op and she's still negative.  I was a light weight of 234 but have already lost 53 pounds.  I feel great. I say go for it it's time to do something for yourself

Jennifer

NYMom222
on 10/28/14 7:43 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes, your Mom is scared. To people who said 'Isn't that drastic?' I said 'Well I am drastically overweight.'  I think it's normal to be scared. You need to be confident in yourself.... Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

jclopez
on 10/28/14 12:25 pm

Thank you everyone for all the encouragement.  It really helped me get my mind set back where I want it to be. 

Most Active