Jawbone or Fit bit?? Do you use them?

GoBlueGirl1998
on 10/28/14 5:18 am - MI

Does anyone out there use the Jawbone or fit bit? Pros, cons... anyone? Also, fitbit one or flex if you have one? I'm debating on buying myself one.

Thundergrrrl
on 10/28/14 5:30 am

I use a fitbit flex and have been for about 3 months. 

Pros: you can wear it 24/7 except when it needs to recharge. I barely notice it and it's water proof enough to shower with. But not swim, I don't think. 

Cons: It's an overpriced pedometer. It literally only accurately counts steps. For example, I can wear it to the gym and do a 45 minute total body boot camp style class and my fitbit will say I have "6 active minutes" that day. So it's no use for truly tracking how active you are if you're not just walking/running. 

It estimates calories burned based on how much movement you do and your height/weight/age only. But since the movement part isn't really accurate, the calories aren't either. If you want truly accurate calorie tracking, try a heart rate monitor. 

If you can get one for less than retail like used on ebay, I might recommend it. I wouldn't pay $100 for it... but I got mine for 75 cause work gave us discounted ones. Why I still wear it despite the cons? Having something I can see my progress on daily truly motivates me to get moving when I would otherwise sit still. 

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

mmsmom
on 10/28/14 5:49 am - Woburn, MA

i have the fitbit and love it.  whether it is accurate or not doesn't matter that much to me.  It keeps me aware of days that i move less than others and often spurs me into action which i might otherwise have not taken.  its a great little reminder to keep moving

VSG on 04/28/2014

iloveravens
on 10/28/14 6:12 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I absolutely LOVE my Jawbone.  It syncs over bluetooth so you don't have to connect to the computer to get your stats.  You can keep track of your food, sleep, and steps.  For the food it breaks down by how many grams of protein, fat, calories, etc.  LOVE IT...For sleep it will tell you how many times you got up, how long you slept deeply, how long you slept lightly, etc.  You can set up reminders and it will vibrate to remind you to (for example: "Drink your water." or "Get up and walk around." etc...

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/28/14 6:13 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I use the fitbit one, it's small enough that I can clip it to my bra & I like that it also has a sleep tracker mode so I can see how much real sleep I'm getting & how often I'm restless during the night. It also tracks my water & food intake. I like that I can use it with the my fitness pal app which tracks my protein, calories, water intake etc. It's easier to set goals & track my protein than the fitbit app.

I don't know how the jawbone is, but I didn't want a pedometer that I could only wear on my wrist, my job is a little hazardous & I'd have to take it off every time I'm on a job, at least the fitbit could go under my clothes, works great for me & I like trying to get my steps in everyday.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Gwen M.
on 10/28/14 6:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If you're going to get one, I recommend the FitBit since it's the best supported ecosystem.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Stacy_WLS
on 10/28/14 6:23 am

I have the fitbit -- not sure which one but it clips to my bra.  I have had it for a year and a half or so.  When I first got it (pre-op pre considering-op) it inspired me to workout more, and take the stairs more.  Which is great.

Now - I like it, but I'm not sure how much it really gets me going.  I am very much into my routine of consistently getting exercise.  When I wasn't and I would look at my fitbit on a Sunday and see 2000 steps -- it definitely pushed me to get off my butt and take a walk.  

I think it is a good investment.  Even though it doesn't seem to do much for me right now, I probably would buy a new one if I lost this or it broke.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Sherri Stewart
on 10/28/14 6:24 am, edited 10/28/14 6:25 am - Dumfries, VA

Hello all, I use the fitbit flex and I love it.  It is easier for me to understand.  I have no clue how the Jawbone works so I can't comment on it.  My husband has a Nike Fuel Band and I truly do not understand that thing.  I have had my fitbit for 8 months and I have convinced 4 of my coworkers to get one and they love it.

Sherri S .
FarmGirl71
on 10/28/14 6:25 am - Maben, MS
VSG on 05/05/15

I use the Fitbit Flex. I love mine. It syncs with bluetooth so I don't have to connect it to a computer and I can see my stats right on my iphone. I use an elliptical every morning so I can manually enter that workout via my phone as well. You can track your water and food. The newest update allows you to search for foods, scan foods, and add foods to the database. I love monitoring my sleep patterns as well. My sister and I are "friends" so we try to out move each other, encourage each other, and basically talk trash to each other! I use it as my alarm in the morning too. It is nice because it vibrates and doesn't wake my husband. It charges quickly and stays charged for several days... like almost a week. I didn't think it would make a difference for me... but it actually has. I am only staring my 6 month process of trying to get approved for surgery... so I haven't really made HUGE changes to my diet at all... but the presence of the Fitbit has encouraged me to move more. Lost 7 pounds the first month without even trying. You can also get the aria scale that goes along with it. SO COOL! I want one. It will weigh you, do your BMI, and other stuff... syncs wireless to your Fitbit data on your phone. Such a motivator I would think... can't wait to get one of those.

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/14 7:07 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I'm a Jawbone gal! Love it!!

Most Active