Anesthesia concern

troose310
on 10/31/14 1:02 am

Has anyone on here had the VSG without general anesthesia?  Like can regional and local be used in lue of general? I am a little leery and hesitant to be put completely under because my family has a history of anesthetic problems...one of the chemicals in it.  I have been under local anesthesia and I was ok, but I requested the least amount available.  I really want to start the process of the VSG, but if general anesthesia is the only way to go, I am not sure that I can get this done.  Someone please help...

rumpole6
on 10/31/14 1:35 am

Check with your doctor. They told me that the general they use today is not your father's general so they may no longer use whatever you are sensitive to.

I have also heard of the VSG being done on an outpatient basis, meaning no general at all, so I'd say its possible but I don't know if I'd recommend it getting it done as an outpatient.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

troose310
on 10/31/14 1:48 am

Thank you!  I sure hope there is an option out there.  I know it sounds lame and all, but if I have to be put to sleep for the sleeve, I am not sure if I can do it.  It probably doesn't help that my aunt just passed away due to complications from surgery...her surgeon more than likely messed up.  She was only 45.  So now my mom is really against me getting WLS, she said she couldn't bear losing me and she is all freaking out because she just lost her baby sister.  I am very confused now and just don't know what to do. 

I am just starting to research my options and talked to my primary doctor about it and she referred me to the bariatric department.  I took the initial questionnaire and online instructional video but still am waiting to see if my initial questionnaire will be approved or not...so maybe I just need to take it one day at a time.  I know I need to talk to a surgeon and anesthesiologist to make sure of the procedures and what not, but I am not sure if it takes months before you can even talk with them?  My insurance requires 6 months medically supervised diet...would I meet with the surgeon and anesthesiologist like soon?  I am not sure if I want to put myself all through this just to be told by them that general anesthesia is required for the surgery. 

Gwen M.
on 10/31/14 4:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You should be able to.  I met with my surgeon as one of the first steps I did.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

rumpole6
on 10/31/14 2:29 am

I think your surgeon will tell you right away of he uses general anasthesia. I think mine even covered it in the information session.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

Gwen M.
on 10/31/14 4:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

There are different types of anesthesia - talk to the surgeon and anesthesiologist before you worry too much about it!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Hislady
on 10/31/14 7:33 am - Vancouver, WA

The anesthsiologist is who you want to talk to, maybe contact your surgeons office and explain the situation. They maybe able to help you contact the anesthesiologist your surgeon uses. Personally I'd want to be completely out when someone is taking 80% of my stomach out. They have options as to which type of anesthesia they use and I agree the drugs they use now are certainly far different than what would have been used on your father. Trust me they don't want anything to happen to you either, it's bad for their reputation and forces them to fill out all kinds of paperwork.  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views