ugghh this diet sucks!

jclopez
on 10/31/14 6:37 am, edited 10/31/14 6:57 am

This diet sucks! And it's not that it's hard to stick to because I have and I haven't cheated once on this pre-op diet. I have followed it perfectly! It Sucks because I'm not losing weight! The first day I lost 3 pounds which I know was water weight and since then I have lost .4 that's not even a half a pound. I'm five days  in and this just seems pointless. I have lost more weight eating more food eating low carb and healthy fats. 

Gwen M.
on 10/31/14 6:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The purpose of the pre-op diet is to get your liver in better condition for the surgery, not to lose weight.  Don't worry about it.  You'll reach your goal post-op if you stick with the plan! :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jclopez
on 10/31/14 6:49 am

So if I don't lose weight my liver will still shrink? I'm afraid if I don't lose any weight then my liver won't shrink enough for surgery! I'm definitely still sticking to the plan I'm too scared of messing things up if I don't.  Thanks for the reply!

lfenix
on 10/31/14 9:13 am
VSG on 10/27/14 with

Scroll back through the messages a few weeks and look for my post about the same thing. Your body rebels against the diet, so don't worry.  I didn't lose anything for most of the two weeks, and then, I lost 2 pounds the two days before surgery for a total of six pounds.  My surgeon was pleased and my liver was shrunk enough.  I've lost another 4 pounds since Monday's surgery.  Try not to worry, and remember it's not about losing right now...but, I get it...I was freaking out too.  

54, Height 5'2", HW 229 PreOp Diet SW 220  Surg W 214 (10/27/14) GW 135 CW 192

jclopez
on 10/31/14 9:17 am

I will look for it and thank you so much. You helped ease my mind. 

hollykim
on 10/31/14 9:45 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 31, 2014 at 1:49 PM Pacific Time, jclopez wrote:

So if I don't lose weight my liver will still shrink? I'm afraid if I don't lose any weight then my liver won't shrink enough for surgery! I'm definitely still sticking to the plan I'm too scared of messing things up if I don't.  Thanks for the reply!

yes,your liver will shrink even if you don't lose weight. Not eating carbs and sugar will allow your liver to shrink and burn off the slimy coating  that appears on the outside of the liver,which most every morbidly obese person has, that makes it slippery and difficult to handle. 

knolmom
on 10/31/14 11:19 am

Thanks so much. My surgeon tried to explain it to me in similar terms yesterday but I was confused. In addition to the liver shrinkage she said I might loose as much as 10 pounds. Mine is 2 shakes and one dense protien meal. When I said" well if I am on it for a month I should loose twice as much and she said not necessarily. Now it makes sense.

November18
on 11/1/14 2:13 am
VSG on 11/18/14

I just got back from vacation and feel like I overindulged. My preop starts Tuesday but I thought I'd try starting today. I'm scared about that liver shrinking too.

Bonnie

Prosperitybl2me
on 10/31/14 7:25 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/23/14

Hi.... :)

I hope this will help, I'm not sure what the requirements are in the US, it's different here in Canada and as I've shared with others, I had to be on an optifast shake 4x a day for three weeks...I thought for sure it was going to really suck. Turns out after the 4th day I had no problems at all. A little bored with no variety but I fixed that by buying extracts and flavoring my shakes. I said all of that to say this. Regardless of what you see on the scale the inside of your body is loosing fat and when you hear people saying "shrink" your liver, it's the excess fat they are trying to flush that surrounds the liver, enabling the liver to "stiffen" up so they can lift it during surgery to get to your stomach. If the liver is to flimsy there runs a great risk of getting "nicked" and bleeding out. Something your def do not want. So don't fret about the scale :) as long as you're doing what they've told you they need you to do, you will loose that fat around your liver. You'll do just great, so try not to worry too much. Just think, it won't be before long you'll be shocked looking at the scale wondering how it went so quick. Oh and don't be surprised if after the surgery, depending on how well you recover, you may gain a few pounds from water. I had an IV in me for a few days(but then again I had complications) and my surgeon told me not to freak out because I was not going to see a weight loss...so glad she did otherwise I would have really questioned what the heck happened.....So my prayers are with you, Good luck with everything-Lynn

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views