3 days out and having trouble with protein

navyrob74
on 10/31/14 11:09 pm - Pasadena, MD

I am 3 days out and really having trouble getting my protein in. I am on full liquids but really having trouble getting all my protein in. Yesterday I was able to get in close to 40 but it was really hard. I am worried that it is going to stall my weight loss because when I stepped on the scale today I was actually up from my surgery weight by 1 lb. I know my body is still healing but has anyone else had trouble getting protein in? Or losing weight in the beginning?

Mary Gee
on 11/1/14 12:21 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Perfectly normal.  You're doing great getting your protein in -- some people have to sip it an ounce at a time.  It's very important to get it in.  The weight gain is normal too -- don't worry about it.  It all gets better.  The first few weeks are tough between physical recovery and the liquid diet.  Hang tough!

Congratulations on a successful surgery!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Mslippy
on 11/1/14 3:55 am
VSG on 06/12/14

Weight gain is normal.  My doctor said I would weigh more leaving the hospital than I did going in. This is because all of the fluids they infuse you with. I would stay away feom the scale. Easier said I know! 

Try Isopure to get in your pprotein. It issold at The Vitamin Shop. If you sip on it all day you will get your protein in. Look it up as I may have spelled it wrong. The green one js pretty good. From wwhat I hear most people7are not able to get in all of their protein so early in. It gets better. Just do the best you can.

God luck and best wishes!

roseygirl
on 11/1/14 10:49 am

Every program is different. When I came out of op my first 5 days were nothing but clear liquids and then we went straight to solid foods. My point is that we didn't do any protein that first week and I still lost 20 lbs in month one. I wouldn't worry too much in the first week. I was sooo unable to drink much of anything in week one. My first meal I ate 1/2 of a hard boiled egg and a few bites of refried beans. 

As soon as I hit two weeks out I felt much more normal and can drink easier, eat easier and all is well in that regard. Take it easy on yourself the first couple weeks.

VSG Surgery 10/02/14

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Carolyn W.
on 11/1/14 2:01 pm

I barely started getting protein in until soft foods (1 month out!) because I was getting really sick and had to stay on full liquids for a while. Totally normal to not be able to get all the protein in for a little while after surgery.

Mike B.
on 11/2/14 7:24 am
Hey navyrob74,
Being three days out, you're lucky to get half of the protein you need down. Give it time, you'll become a pro at drinking those protein drinks. I take that back. After awhile, just the thought of drinking another protein drink might make you sick. But, it is what it is. Protein drinks are now part of your everyday life so drink up. Try and get creative when making your protein drinks so you won't get bored with the same ones. I think just about everyone saw an increase in their weight when they got home from the hospital. With all the fluids they pump into you while you're there, it's no wonder your weight is a little more. Hang in there. The first few weeks are a challenge, but you'll get the hang of ow things work soon enough. Good luck and keep us all posted on your journey.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

lionhounds
on 11/4/14 12:41 pm - Burleson, TX

Set your timer for every 15 minutes and drink 1 oz. Do this everytime the timer goes off.  Then after a few days, you can set it for every 11 minutes and this way, you will get it all in.  It worked for me. You will weigh about 1 to 4 lbs more in the beginning.  You are still swollen from the IV fluid.  I had mine October 16 and am doing great!  Down 41lbs since then

lionhounds
on 11/4/14 12:43 pm - Burleson, TX

Premier Protein from Costco is great.  Isopure was vomitous to me.  Just aweful. You can also get an unflavored protein powder from The Vitamin Shop and mix that in with whatever you drink.

Most Active