Recover time

Debbie R.
on 11/2/14 11:00 am - Las Cruces, NM

My husband is 6'3" 420lbs, i have been getting on him about wls but he always gives me a stern no. (scared of anesthesia, never had surgery before) I am hoping to get my sleeve this month and so i brought the subject again and he actually said he would consider the sleeve but wonders about recovery time. He has a very strenuous job so i just wonder how long he would have to be out of work?

tstowe
on 11/2/14 1:16 pm

I teach high school (not real strenuous) but I was out of work for two weeks. 

While you are on the all liquid diet, you get tired VERY easily. Once I was on to pureed foods, my energy level was fine.

Debbie R.
on 11/2/14 1:54 pm - Las Cruces, NM

Thank you for your responsive, i completely forgot about the post diet. He will definitely need more time than expected. Gosh, I was really hoping there was away to get this done for him.  

jenn1469
on 11/2/14 9:13 pm

I agree 2 weeks and can't pick up anything heavy for 6 weeks

Jennifer

Valerie G.
on 11/2/14 11:39 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Don't forget the 8lbs for 8 week rule on lifting/pushing/pulling, etc.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Debbie R.
on 11/3/14 9:01 am - Las Cruces, NM

He can't get that much time off. Gosh, I was hoping he could get the surgery. :(

Hislady
on 11/3/14 9:44 am - Vancouver, WA

Maybe he could be put on a less physically demanding job for a few weeks? I mean what would they do if God forbid he had a heart attack or had to have a hip replacement. Would they fire him? Those would also require weight limits for lifting and extra time to recover from surgery. Lots of times guys in particular think the job will fall apart without them and don't even bother asking if they can get time off. He doesn't have to tell them why just that he needs stomach surgery, if they insist (which legally they can't) he can always say ulcers or something. If he really wants it he can get it, hopefully when he sees how well you do he'll want it for himself! Just don't nag him about it that never works.

Debbie R.
on 11/3/14 10:54 am - Las Cruces, NM

I told him the same thing about he doesnt have to tell them why he needs the time off. There is only 2 people there, there is no way they will give him time. they actually got mad when he had to be on light duty because the bucket from a backhoe hit him on his head. There is no way he can take the time off, my poor baby :(

Moat916
on 11/3/14 3:57 am - Simpsonville, SC

I am 6'2" and was 430 prior to surgery and was in the exact same boat your husband is.  My wife was determined to go through with it and wanted me to do it as well.   

Wife had hers on 8/12 and I was 8/25.  I am amazed at how easy the recovery has been so far.  I was tired a lot for the first two weeks, but by the third I felt great.  I chose to take a full four weeks off from work and probably could have gone back earlier.  

My job is 50% desk and 50% out on the floor.  For the first week back I was tired by the late afternoon, but it was manageable. Like everyone else has suggested keep the weight limits in mind and don't over do it.

cspotrun
on 11/3/14 9:29 am
RNY on 07/01/14

can he go on disability and take family medical leave?  I know that depends on the size of his company...

Karen   

Most Active