Could use Encouragement

mrspetty
on 10/31/14 1:02 pm
VSG on 03/26/14

So I'm just over 7 months out from surgery, down 100 pounds and getting into a rut. I am so happy with how much I've lost and I don't regret the surgery at all. The right choice for me.

However, I have plateaued. I know it's normal and that my body is adjusting to how much I've lost so fast. And I am not expecting to be losing like I was after the surgery. I'm ok with that. I'm trying to wrap my mind around the idea of being happy/content with the possibility that this is the lowest weight that I will see. While it isn't where I expected to stop losing, it is 100 pounds lighter than I would have been without the surgery. And that is pretty awesome. 

My biggest fear in doing this is regain. And I would venture to guess that is a common fear. So I've really been trying to focus on changing habits, understanding why I eat when I do, analyzing my mood and motivation for eating- not just when i eat but what I eat. I've really tried to make sustainable changes. 
And I think for the most part I've been successful. I focus on protein, eat incredibly smaller portions, get in lots of water (pretty much don't drink anything else), and have built in exercise each week by taking a weightlifting class in my schedule this semester at school. I could do better, but these are all good things.

All that being said, I find myself slipping into bad habits. It has been a slow thing, but today it came into focus with all of the candy around and me mindlessly snacking on it. Nowhere near as much as I would have eaten before, but more than what I know I should be eating. 
I find myself having "so what" kinds of thoughts. As in, so what if I eat this now. Or so what if I make this bad choice. It's one piece of candy. No big deal. Very dangerous for me.

I've been thinking about posting for a few days, but have been nervous because I'm afraid of receiving harsh comments. I really need encouragement and helpful advice. I know I'm not perfect. 

I am thinking about doing some sort of re-start or cleanse (can't think of the right term) to reset myself. While I hated the pre-op diet and the weeks that followed, in some ways it was really freeing. I could have my protein shakes. That's it. No thought or energy required. Is it a protein shake? If yes, you can have it, if no you can't. Easy peasy. 

Would going two days on a similar plan be beneficial? 4 days? more? less? What have you done when you found yourself at this point? What advice have you learned that would be helpful?

A little more info about me (just in case it's helpful or relevant)- I am 28. I have two boys- 5 and 3. I've been married for just over 10 years. Together, my husband and I have overcome a lot and he is an amazing partner. While I know he supports me completely, he is human and he doesn't always make the best choices for food to have in the house. Some might say that is sabotage- but I think it's him being a human and me needing to be responsible for what I put into my body. I'm going to school full time right now pursuing a degree in social work. I'm in therapy. I've been going twice a week for 3 years. So i've put a lot of work into who i am and who i want to be. I would say I'm the healthiest version of me that I've ever been. But I know I can improve. I'm also incredibly stressed at this moment- the normal crazy schedule and one hundred plates spinning at one time. 

Now that I've written a book, I really look forward to any thoughts/feedback/encouragement. I want to be successful longterm. That is my goal. Thank you to everyone on here who has been incredibly helpful in this process so far. I read way more than I post and I find so much invaluable advice on here.

Dreamingofbeaches
on 10/31/14 4:15 pm
with

Hi there!  I'm glad you posted. I am hopeful that you won't receive harsh comments too, they aren't necessary or helpful. You are further out than I am, but I could really feel for the things you were expressing.  I think it is easy to slide back into old habits, things you've done automatically for years. I hope that as we get further out these new positive behaviors become the new automatic way of thinking about things. I've read people say to not go all the way back to shakes as a reset but instead to go back to the very basics of protein first, leafy green veggies, weigh and measure everything and track it all. We are here to support and encourage you!  You can do this!!

-Jen

Consult weight 4/7/14: 381.5   SW 7/1/14:

Mary Gee
on 10/31/14 4:21 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I'm certainly not an expert - had my VSG 5/14/14.  I've lost 60 pounds.  My weight on that date was 342, but my highest weight was 380.  I've been doing pretty good.

I see you're young, married, and have two young sons.  Needless to say, your life must be hectic.  Me, I'm 63 and after working for 45 years, became disabled and can no longer work.  I've got plenty of time, but don't use it wisely, for sure.

Although I'm doing great, I've become a bit disenheartened - and with the holidays coming up, I actually feel kind of blue because I used to really enjoy "stuffing my face" on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and loved holiday parties.  It was also the only time of year I would drink alcohol - like Black Russians (yummy!).

I just had my five month follow-up and NUT and surgeon were both very pleased.  I haven't started snacking or nibbling - but I know I've got to "shake things up" a bit because I'm tired of my basic, dull menus and don't want to "fall off the wagon".

I've ordered some protein powder samples of some new flavors, and also ordered some sugar-free syrups.  I've been reading Eggface's blog for ideas, and I've been reading some recipes from some posters' daily menus on the "Whatcha Eating" threads.  

Rather than going on an "all liquids" program, I'm committing to changing what I'm eating; I'm going to pre-plan more menus, and do "cook aheads" so I can freeze meals ahead of time.  I am going to track in My Fitness Plan.

You know you're headed for disaster if you don't get back on track.  I don't think you need to go to all liquids -- but on the other hand maybe that will give you the boost you need.  You know yourself better than me.

I hope you can get things together again.  Remember to take the time for yourself, no matter how busy things get.  Maybe your husband can give you a hand so you have some extra time.  Keep reading her, and maybe try to read Eggface's blog too.  You are important - take the time to remember that!  Maybe the boards/groups for "Getting Back on Track" will have some ideas too.

So, I, too, have written a book.  I really wish you the best and hope you can get back to feeling in control.  My best wishes to you.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Prosperitybl2me
on 10/31/14 7:07 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/23/14

Hi There :)...

Thank you for sharing your "real" moments. We all have them and first let me start by saying that you are "worth" as much as YOU will allow yourself to be treated. I've had many crash courses lol in this area and I know from experience it's not any easy thing to "look" at ourselves first, decide that we are more important then what we will allow, either our thoughts, people, situations, cir****tances tell us what we are worth. I encourage you to recall why you had the surgery to begin with :) You know those ahh haaa moments you had and the desire to better your life (for you first I'm hoping) and then for your loved ones to be able to have a long, healthy life. Remember a plateau is just what that is, a plateau. It does not stay that way and as long as you keep a good positive frame of mind, encouraging yourself and reminding yourself of how far you've come already, keep pushing yourself, your plateau will change. I've been in that spot before where we start to think about. It's no big deal, only one is not going to hurt me, or feel upset and say "who cares" I know it all to well, But this time don't do it! Don't trick yourself into thinking that it's only one, you've worked too hard, don't beat yourself up thinking that's all the weight you're going to loose, you've worked too hard, "who cares" YOU DO!....I truly believe our emotions get generated by the thoughts we are producing, so you have to ask yourself what are you thinking and what do you have to stop thinking and start thinking. I commend you for your weight loss. I'm really new in, I've just had my surgery in Sept and I can tell you I have to fight the battle daily as well. Fighting negative thoughts....I'm sure like me, you've tried everything before you had this surgery as I'm sure every single person on this site has, and we get a little fearful wondering if it will really work or for how long, but in the end it's our decision based upon what we think and feel. I hope this has encouraged you. PLEASE do not give up on all the hard work you've done and remember to tell your body when you do have weak moments that food is just for fuel because you have more important things to make your priority than food....My prayers are with you!

GingerJen
on 10/31/14 9:10 pm
VSG on 03/07/14

in month 7 I only lost 2 pounds. I think it was plateau and just kind of mentally needing a break. I did get into bad habits so I'm glad I didn't gain! I also noticed I could all of a sudden eat more. I just tried to not freak out and I made myself still weigh every day. I didn't want to just throw in the towel and ignore my weight like in the past. I am a week shy of 8 months and this month I am down 6 pounds without to much effort. So hang in there!  Just ride it out until you can start pushing into gear again

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 SW (3/7/2014)301 CW 168 goal 170

M1- 26 M2- 14 M3- 15 M4 -13 M5 -16 M6-12 M7-2 M8-5 M9-6 M10-8 M11-1 M12-5  M13-10 Goal reached 4/5/15 total lost 187 lbs total; 133 in the 13 months since surgery

Dawn ..
on 10/31/14 10:36 pm - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

I am only a little over a month out, so I am a newbie. 100 pound loss is awesome! I just started going to a therapist to try and figure out why I eat needlessly. She told me to start a blog and when I got the urge to go grab something to eat, that is not during one of my scheduled meals, or that is not on my plan, to blog about what type of mood I am in and how I am feeling. Most of the time I am feeling stressed or bored.

I have not hit a plateau yet because I am not far enough out, but if I do, I am probably going to do shakes only for a few days to try and shake things up. Good luck to you.

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

Friends K.
on 10/31/14 11:11 pm
RNY on 01/14/14

Normal. Totally .

i lost 95 by 6 months and then my brain played games. Ive lost slower since then and I'm now 9.5 months out.

I'm finding a life I can live with. I continue to lose and I'm now 118 down with an average of about 6/month. Just keep working the program. Focus on protein, drink water, find alternatives for triggers, get some exercise. And the weight will continue to come off. 

Don't accept this is your low. Keep going. Dust offhand follow the plan. You can do this!

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

VSG on 06/12/13

I hit a similar bump at a similar point in my journey. The fun was over: weight was no longer falling off, the food was boring, there were holiday goodies to be had, I was tired of logging, it was just plain old work. I had to make a choice- be ok with the status quo or fight to keep going.

i did find that returning to my cookbooks helped, as did finding new exercises. I took up tennis lessons. I re dedicated myself to logging.

I also had a realization - the amount of weight I had to lose by that point was something I had lost (and regained) a dozen times before. I could do this! My pre op diet was 20 grams of carbs per day, with no other restrictions. I went back to that for a few days to break the carb cycle. I told myself I had done that before, as well. It helped (and continues to - I return to that as needed now) to get things back on track. I realized that this - being in control - was what maintenance was made of and I began to view this as "practice" for maintenance.

its at this point where winning the head game becomes really important. What you do now, I believe, will set you up for success in maintenance. Begin experimenting with what levers you can pull to change things, but no matter what, keep your head in the game.

you got this.

laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

mrspetty
on 11/2/14 9:36 am
VSG on 03/26/14

Wow. Thank you all. I have read and re-read all of your posts. They were so incredibly encouraging and had a lot of great wisdom. Thank you.

I apologize for not responding sooner. I have been thinking about these posts and really trying to let them settle a bit before responding.

It is really helpful to hear others have had similar experiences, have handled it in a similar way, and found ways to be successful. That gives me hope! 

What is concerning me right now isn't necessarily the weight loss stall but the bad habits that I'm allowing to creep back in. It is empowering to be reminded I have the power to make better choices. Today doesn't determine tomorrow. I am capable of doing this hard work and I am worth it.

Today and yesterday I really focused on portions, cutting out sweets and carbs and focusing on what I'm eating. It is a relief that these two days have been pretty good. I made small changes, but they were fairly easy. And tomorrow I can take that and grow on it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. 

I appreciate the time you took to invest kindness in me. And I hope that each of you are in a good place.

Most Active