I did not think it would feel this bad

frienztodaend
on 11/6/14 11:28 pm

I was sleeved Wednesday 11/5. While I have been lurking, the past few months, I've read many posts about how difficult the first few days are. I totally agree. The gas pain is horrible. I still have moments of nausea, and Ive wondered a couple of times "what did I do to myself?".  I've got to work on getting my protein in today, and sip, sip, sip!

HW 280 PRE OP 272(-8) SW 257(-15) VSG 11-5-14 with Dr. Mun

The_Sun_Fairy
on 11/6/14 11:41 pm

I totally get it!!  I actually stayed in the hospital an extra night because of incision pain, so I understand!!  For the gas, my biggest suggestion is to try to move around as much as possible!!  This will help to work the gas out of your system, but it does take time!! Just concentrate on getting in your protein and as much fluids as you can.  That is the most important at the moment, and it is much easier to work on one thing at a time!!  Trust me when I say, IT WILL GET BETTER!!  Good luck!! :)

Trust the Process!! :)

lfenix
on 11/6/14 11:49 pm
VSG on 10/27/14 with

I'm 11 days out, and I can tell you that the improvement you will feel between days 7 and 10 are nothing short of miraculous.  I felt okay for a couple of days post op, because they had injected me with something that helped with the pain for 72 hours.  But, after that wore off, the internal pain from the incisions, particularly on my left side, were horrible!  I had to sleep in my recliner in the living room so I knew I could get 'up' because getting up out of bed required all that muscle tissue in my stomach which was burning and stinging something awful.  The pain medication did relieve the pain so I could rest, so stay up on that the best you can.

Also, not to be too graphic, but the sooner you can pass a bowel movement, you will notice improvement as well.  I was told to take some Milk of Magnesia on day 4 if I hadn't had a bowel movement yet, and when I did, it really made a difference!

Try to be patient and let your body heal.  Sip the best you can, but don't freak out if you don't get all your fluids in.  Yesterday was the first day I got in my 40 g of protein since the surgery.  I still can't get 60 oz of total liquid.  You won't die.  I didn't get dehydrated.  And, on the plus side, I've lost 12 pounds in 11 days, and haven't felt hungry at all.  It's totally going to be worth it.  You'll see.  

54, Height 5'2", HW 229 PreOp Diet SW 220  Surg W 214 (10/27/14) GW 135 CW 192

thisisfor_me
on 11/7/14 9:51 am

Oh, thank goodness! I had surgery same day as you and still can't get 60 oz of liquid in. I have been stressing about this! I can get 2 protein shakes in (60 g of protein) but average 38-40 oz total fluid.

frienztodaend
on 11/8/14 12:57 pm

It so hard to meet those 64 ounces. I almost made it yesterday,  and I'm working on the protein.  

HW 280 PRE OP 272(-8) SW 257(-15) VSG 11-5-14 with Dr. Mun

GoBlueGirl1998
on 11/7/14 12:15 am - MI

Yes, sip, sip, sip..........but add in the walk, walk, walk! That will help get rid of some of the gas!! Walking is the best advice I got!

jb3412
on 11/7/14 2:59 am

I was sleeved last Tuesday and I know exactly how you feel.  I haven't posted yet - been quite the lurker, but I found something so wonderful - I really hope it might help you.  On my second night I managed to lay down on my side.  Now if you are having severe incision pain, maybe speak to your surgeon first, but I used a pillow under my stomach to keep my belly 'level' - this position had and still does provide the greatest amount of relief. It was the only position I was able to start passing gas besides from the 'other end', and this brought me an enormous amount of relief. I really hope you feel better soon. Its been better and better each day for me. I'm finishing my first full week back at work and at times the pain definetely comes back but each day REALLY is better than the last (for the most part!) Good Luck!

Gwen M.
on 11/7/14 3:38 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Walking as much as possible will help with the gas pain.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

lovingme9908
on 11/7/14 11:24 am
VSG on 10/06/14

The first few days are interesting for some. I can tell you I'm a little over a month out and I'm fine now.  My first few days I worked on walking and drinking water. I didn't worry about protein until I was about a week out.  Just my two cents...Good luck and congrats on your new journey!

wellzen
on 11/7/14 2:55 pm

Hope you feel better soon. Welcome to the losers bench

Wellzen   VSG 9/8/14  SW 261 

Most Active