cheating on pre-op

jclopez
on 11/7/14 10:19 am, edited 11/7/14 3:24 pm

Has anyone cheated on the pre-op diet and still had their liver shrink  ok? I have done really good on my diet until today (day 12) I ate a tootsie roll and a small bag of chips.  Ughh I'm so mad at myself for doing this! I still have two more days on my diet then surgery is Monday. Did I screw the whole thing up? Should I reschedule? Or will it be ok if I stuck with just liquids the next 2 days. I have lost a total of 10lbs so far. 

lovingme9908
on 11/7/14 11:15 am, edited 11/7/14 11:16 am
VSG on 10/06/14

I think you should be fine, but I wouldn't do it again.  I don't know your surgeon's plan, but this pre opt diet will not only shrink your liver but it will help you when it comes to eating after surgery.

You may want to contact your surgeon and let him know as well. I know it's hard, but you have to tell yourself you need to do this. The want for unhealthy food will not go away. I'm a little over a month out and just today I had to tell myself I would not eat a cup of ice cream because it will NOT help me.

One other piece of advice. I had my husband take pictures of me (almost nude pictures). When I think, man I would love a piece of cake, I look at those pictures. I don't like the pictures and I don't want to look like that again!

Good luck!

Jennsumner722
on 11/7/14 2:10 pm
VSG on 04/23/14 with

I cheated and didn't tell my surgeon.  You will be fine, just try not to do it again.  No need to tell your surgeon. 

Stacy_WLS
on 11/7/14 9:52 pm

I cheated.  I told them I wasn't perfect.  I still lost 15 lbs or something.  The last few days I was very strict.  You got this!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

amyvsg6614
on 11/7/14 11:01 pm, edited 11/7/14 11:03 pm
VSG on 06/06/14

I cheated the first 3 days told them I cheated and they said I was ok.. I lost 10lbs so they were ok with it.. Just remember that they want your stomach empty too before surgery.. I wouldnt cheat anymore so close to surgery.

Carolyn W.
on 11/8/14 11:42 am

I didn't cheat at all and my liver was still 3 times the size of a normal liver. I don't know how they did it laproscopic and didn't cut me open with my liver being so big, but they did! You will be okay. Just make sure your stomach is empty for surgery or else they can't do it. Don't reschedule. 

Quanita L.
on 11/8/14 3:31 pm - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

I did the first time I had surgery too - actually did a whole last meal dinner outing a few days before surgery I confessed and my surgeon said it was okay.  _ I had a tbone steak with baked potatos and grilled mushrooms - a BIG steak

This time round I havent cheate have a few days to go and so far have lost 18lbs- I also started a week or so early.

My surgeon has also made the pre-surgery diet more lenient, he said too many people couldn't stick with 3 shakes a day and he now does 2 shakes with a light meat with low calorie vegies dinner for 2 - 6 weeks.  They asked me to do 4 weeks and I think I started a week and a half early.

Any loss before hand is going  to shrink your liver.

Take Care and don't be too down on yourself.

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views