Anyone out there NOT loose their hair?

FreeFran
on 11/19/14 1:47 pm

I know it shouldn't be such a big issue but I am terrified of loosing my hair. I'm hoping their are exceptions?  Anyone out there not loose their hair?

wls_srf
on 11/19/14 1:57 pm

I highly recommend Nioxin.  I did lose some hair but not much...make sure you also take biotin.

Karen H.
on 11/19/14 7:23 pm
VSG on 12/08/14
On November 19, 2014 at 9:57 PM Pacific Time, wls_srf wrote:

I highly recommend Nioxin.  I did lose some hair but not much...make sure you also take biotin.

Thanks for posting! Which "nixolin" do you recommend? My hair is thick and it is treated, highlighted.

Also, when using "biotin", have you noticed any facial hair growth? 

Thank you!!

wyo_sarah
on 11/20/14 1:22 am

I am worried about facial hair growth too.  I did a short survey on here last week and it seemed about half and half...half of the people who took Biotin had hair growing in unwanted places and half didn't.  I'm giving it a go...I figure if I develop a beard, I'll stop the Biotin.  Good luck!!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/19/14 2:37 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I didn't lose any hair.  Thank God because I already have very fine hair and not a lot of it! From what I have read on here over the years it is really something that you cannot predict. It may or may not happen. It depends on how your body reacts to surgery, weight loss and the post op metabolic changes. From what I have also read, it always grows back. So its a temporary situation at worst.

I was lucky I guess. But I cannot tell you why or if there is something I did or didn't do that influenced this. I did lose hair after giving birth (3 times) and there was no surgery then. So no idea why not this time. Nor did I lose any after my two rounds of plastics which were each 4-5 hour surgeries with the same full anesthesia as for the VSG. So really its a mystery. Good luck!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

mickeymantle
on 11/19/14 2:38 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I did not lose any but my hair is brittle , I think I need to add more fat to my diet 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

mmsmom
on 11/19/14 8:11 pm - Woburn, MA

I had band removed Feb and sleeve in april and did not lose my hair.  I even asked my hairdresser and she just laughed at me and said, "no, your hair has not thinned at all."   I am almost 7 mos out.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Valerie G.
on 11/19/14 10:04 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Telogen Effluvium is the reaction to having the surgery.  Google it and learn what it's about.  There is no way to prevent it (except not having surgery) or predict how bad it's going to be. 

Taking extra vitamins and protein will benefit the new hair that's pushing out the old, but it will not prevent the shedding, and because it's happening inside your body and not a scalp 'condition', the special hair thinning shampoos are also a waste of money.  It's gonna happen if it's gonna happen, that's it.  I have very fine hair, and the only one who noticed my hair loss was me and the shower drain. 

My biggest recommendation is to get some layers cut into your hair so the new growth blends in, avoiding the chia pet look.  At that point, a makeover will be good for your soul.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

GoBlueGirl1998
on 11/19/14 10:28 pm - MI

What you said is exactly what I plan on doing.....my hair is long right now, but at first sight of hair loss I'm going to go get a stacked bob and cut it off! :)

MayPenGirl
on 11/19/14 11:25 pm - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 04/03/13

I too was also terrified of losing my hair!! My hair is fine already so I freaked about when I thought I might lose it.  I was one of the fortunate ones not to lose my hair.  I did have a lot of shedding but no hair loss.  I have been taking Biotin since before my surgery and I still take it 1 year and 1/2 later.  I take the Solgar Biotion 10,000 MCG once a day.  I buy it from Vitamin Shoppe for $16.99 and it has 60 capsules so it lasts me 2 months.

Surgery date - 04/03/13; Goal date - 11/10/13 (I reached goal in 31 weeks & 4 days)

Highest weight 261  SW 258  GW 150   M1 -26  M2 -14  M3 -10  M4 -12  M5 -13  M6 -12  M7 -11  M8 -10  In maintenance since November 2013  HT- 5'6"  

Most Active