14 days post op struggling at work

sechax0r
on 11/17/14 12:57 pm
VSG on 11/03/14

I work from home but in a pretty mentally challenging job. I started back to work 5 days after surgery and I have found I have made several mistakes I would never make pre surgery. I don't know what to do. We have an unlimited leave policy and my work place is supportive but I feel like I am letting my team down if I take the time off. Physically I am good, I can walk and do things, my brain just feels like mush. I know it will pass but any advice you can give will be great. 

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 11/17/14 4:19 pm, edited 11/17/14 10:35 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

what kind of mistakes? poor food choices or work related mistakes?  You're two weeks out.. it'll take some time to heal and start to feel better. I'd still be stilling around in my jammies and napping every afternoon, lol

sechax0r
on 11/17/14 8:55 pm
VSG on 11/03/14

Mistakes at work, giving people less than thought out answers. Just generally not myself.

Kelly Jean
on 11/17/14 5:54 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

Maybe you need a few mote days ... or maybe just try to slow it down some... you can do it. .. just stay focused !!! :-)

♡ Kelly

lessofme123
on 11/17/14 8:02 pm

It takes a while for the anesthesia to get out of your system. I was in summer school taking a graduate level calculus class when I had my surgery. I passed, but it was sure hard to think straight for the first couple of weeks.

KurliQ28
on 11/17/14 8:24 pm

The most important thing we can do during this time of healing is to take care of our selves. As a medical professional having had the procedure myself. I had to lay down even when I didn't want to. I'm doing very well after the surgery, but we all have different limitations. It's not coping out, and you may have financial responsibilities your concerned about like me. However, we have to start adapting healthy practices. Letting people begin to understand from now on, there will be times that I will be unavailable bc that is my workout time, or thats the moment I'm taking my wife out. It's all about balance, single mom, workaholic, I ate before everything. Seemed like I ate everytime I had a thought! Now that I'm not in bondage to food anymore. I'm ready to make the healthy start with my OH family. When I have my days I trust others will support me too! Your doing good, but rest while you can........with all the love in the world.....thanks th :)

God helps those who help themselves, amen!

hollykim
on 11/18/14 2:40 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

excellent post!

KurliQ28
on 11/18/14 3:38 am

Thank you

God helps those who help themselves, amen!

Valerie G.
on 11/17/14 9:09 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

You're letting them down more with mistakes than you would be just admitting you need more time to recover.  I was extremely listless for a good 5-6 weeks, myself, so I completely understand.  You're a cheap date to the anesthesia fog.  

I took off 8 weeks total, which by today's standards is excessive, but I wanted to return to my full duties immediately (I'm a corporate trainer - so I need mental agility as well as being active physically).  My plan worked like a charm and they all thought I was tough as nails.  If only they saw me weeks earlier, lol.

At any rate, taking necessary recovery time to be at your best looks way better to your employer than poor performance, which reflects badly on your team, management, and probably creates more work and possible loss of money correcting your mistakes.  I recommend asking for a couple of weeks longer.  It should make a great difference.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Dan1962
on 11/17/14 9:15 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I have a fairly mentally challemging job also.  I had my surgery on a Tuesday and returned to work on the following Monday.  I was spent by noon.  I decided to work half days the balance of thr week and then I reutrned full time on the following Monday.  It still took another good week before I felt myself.  Just do what you can do especially since your employer is understanding.

Most Active