Questions - Possibly postponing my surgery

ANGELINA6501
on 11/19/14 4:09 am
VSG on 12/16/14

I am about 4 weeks away from VSG surgery. I am considering postponing my surgery because I am just not sure if I am ready. I am trying to wrap my head around the post-op diet and the entire eating/lifestyle change. I went through a 6 mo. supervised diet with my NUT and did fairly well. When I really buckled down and followed her instructions, I lost weight. In one month, I had lost 15 lbs! Unfortunately, I had 'last supper syndrome' and I gained 7 lbs back over 2 months, but again when I restricted my diet I lost 8 lbs in 10 days. I feel that I might be able to do this on my own, by following the NUT guidelines - and I can always check in with her to help keep me on track. I think she is a big part of my success.

My thought process is this:

I know the surgery will restrict my eating. This physical restriction is only to help me keep my portions in check. The rest is all me. I have to do all the other work - eating the right foods and exercising. I have to change my eating habits if I want to lose weight, whether I have surgery or not. So what are the real advantages of having most of my stomach removed other than simple restriction?

I was very ill on Sunday and still don't feel right. I think my food didn't digest properly and caused a case of food poisoning (eggy burps, gas, belly pain, vomiting and diarrhea.) This seems to be a great time to 'reboot' my system, as I have been very careful as to what I eat so I don't upset my tummy.

I can lose the weight when I try. It isn't as if I try and I don't have ANY success. I'd like to really give it a good go and see what I can do on my own. I know it can be done and I know I can do it. If I have to eat right anyway, why should I undergo a surgical procedure?

~Angela

VSG 12/16/2014   HW: 309 / SW: 280 / CW: 226

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/19/14 4:17 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

If you're not ready for surgery, then you should cancel it.  You might regret it later, but if you're having these doubts it's not the time to move forward.

Many of us find that we can lose weight when we're focused on it, but the problem is keeping it off.  I'd lost over 100 pounds in the past, but gained it all back and more.  I can lose weight like a mofo.  The problem is when you're on a "diet," you're eventually looking forward to the day that the diet is over.  After WLS, what you eat turns into your new normal.

I wish you the best with whatever path you choose.  My only regret is that I did not have WLS years ago.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

hollykim
on 11/19/14 4:20 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 19, 2014 at 12:09 PM Pacific Time, ANGELINA6501 wrote:

I am about 4 weeks away from VSG surgery. I am considering postponing my surgery because I am just not sure if I am ready. I am trying to wrap my head around the post-op diet and the entire eating/lifestyle change. I went through a 6 mo. supervised diet with my NUT and did fairly well. When I really buckled down and followed her instructions, I lost weight. In one month, I had lost 15 lbs! Unfortunately, I had 'last supper syndrome' and I gained 7 lbs back over 2 months, but again when I restricted my diet I lost 8 lbs in 10 days. I feel that I might be able to do this on my own, by following the NUT guidelines - and I can always check in with her to help keep me on track. I think she is a big part of my success.

My thought process is this:

I know the surgery will restrict my eating. This physical restriction is only to help me keep my portions in check. The rest is all me. I have to do all the other work - eating the right foods and exercising. I have to change my eating habits if I want to lose weight, whether I have surgery or not. So what are the real advantages of having most of my stomach removed other than simple restriction?

I was very ill on Sunday and still don't feel right. I think my food didn't digest properly and caused a case of food poisoning (eggy burps, gas, belly pain, vomiting and diarrhea.) This seems to be a great time to 'reboot' my system, as I have been very careful as to what I eat so I don't upset my tummy.

I can lose the weight when I try. It isn't as if I try and I don't have ANY success. I'd like to really give it a good go and see what I can do on my own. I know it can be done and I know I can do it. If I have to eat right anyway, why should I undergo a surgical procedure?

actually,I think you have answered you own question. What is going to keep you from having" last supper" syndrome if you don't have the surgery? 

The real question is not losing the weight,it is KEEPING if off. Can you do that by " eating righ" with.  No restrictive help? If you could do it,why haven't you don't it before now? 

ANGELINA6501
on 11/19/14 4:42 am
VSG on 12/16/14

Thank you for your reply! I think I had the whole 'last supper' thing, because I felt like I was never going to be able to eat certain foods again. I must have been really scared, because I was eating foods that I normally don't eat. I quickly dropped those foods and have not felt the need for them since.

Yes, keeping it off is the real trick. Some people, even with surgery, cannot keep the weight off forever. I think I haven't been able to keep the weight off for 2 reasons: Lack of regular exercise and having PCOS. 

Thanks!

~Angela

Lisa167
on 11/19/14 4:41 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Well, it's not all sunshine and rainbows.  It's work no matter how you slice it - with or without surgery.

Like you I was pretty successful on the 3.5 months before surgery, following the NUT's instructions.  I lost nearly 30lbs of the 86lbs I had to lose.

I've been overweight as long as I can remember.  I had had success with diets in the past - but it always came back, and then some.  I felt that unless I did something to make these changes permanent, it would be just like before.  I didn't want that.

I was 195 the day of surgery.  I had people/friends question me on if I needed it.  I knew I did.

I'm a little over 3 months post op and believe it was the right thing to do - for ME.  I will always have this tool to keep me in check.  Or at the very least, to rely on again if weight returns since I'll always have restriction.

I've also been off all of my meds (metformin, a high dose of a statin, and anti-migraine) since surgery.  I had "normal" labs 4 weeks post op (my annual physical).    I never had this kind of positive metabolic response when I lost weight before.

So I'm down another 25lbs in the three months since surgery.  Not going to break any speed records getting there, but it's going to get me to goal.

I think if you stop and reflect on why you started this process in the first place, you'll find your answer.  Best of luck to you.

emelar
on 11/19/14 4:41 am - TX

As others have said, it's not so much about losing the weight, it's about keeping it off.  Most of us are champions at weight loss.  Not so much at maintaining the weight loss.

But, as geek said, if you're having serious doubts, cancel the surgery.  You have to be mentally ready for the changes.

jenn1469
on 11/19/14 5:36 am

I was gonna cancel the idea of surgery because i lost 50 pounds on my own but than i gained 30 pounds back resecdule my apt and I'm 5 mos post op I'm now in a size 6 sometimes 4  and love my new body and yes i have cheated by eating 3 dire chips or a bite of candy 2xs but you can't just sit in front of the TV and eat a big bag of chips because you can't your tummy is small now 

I say get the surgery and lose this weight for life

Jennifer

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/19/14 5:42 am

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but here goes:  Most of us not only regain what we have lost on diets, but additional weight as well. Those pounds come rushing back and bring lots of their little friends.

You can postpone surgery and should if you aren't ready. If you choose to have surgery in the future, you may have more weight to lose than you do now.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

ANGELINA6501
on 11/19/14 6:15 am
VSG on 12/16/14

Thank you all for your responses! I appreciate your honesty and candor! I'm pretty sure I am still going to go through with the surgery; my emotions are just all over the place.

~Angela

Jiliana2
on 11/19/14 11:25 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I just wanted to let you know that it's perfectly normal to second guess yourself and have doubts and have emotions that are all over the place before surgery. Most of us have been there. We understand that, for sure.

I'm with the others. I've lost weight in the past; sometimes a lot, sometimes not so much. But I'd never been able to KEEP it off until now. This surgery helps me make the right choices and in the end, when I reach maintenance, I know I'll physically be able to eat anything I want, but the quantity will be restricted and frankly... I don't want to mess up all the progress I've made.

Wishing you all the best... and hang in there! You CAN do this!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views