Question about stalls

lionhounds
on 11/19/14 1:39 pm - Burleson, TX

i am 5 weeks post op and am down 45lbs. I am obviously shrinking from week to week but have not been losing any weight the last 2 weeks. I eat between 300 and 500 calories a day and can only eat very little.  I measure everything but still throw up since I can't tell when I am full.  I drink alot of water and add fiber to it. I asked my doctor last week, "Is this all the weight I am going to lose".  She said, "NO"! I went from taking 6 shots of insulin a day and am taking 2 shots now but my sugar is still in the 250 to 360 range.  I have so much energy and feel great about doing this surgery. How can a person lose so many inches as I have and not have the scale move.  I am already a muscular person but I don't know what to expect. I do not eat sugar or fat and have virtually no carbs.

Carolyn W.
on 11/19/14 1:48 pm

Honestly, I have NO idea how we lose inches and not weight! The same thing was happening to me. I was clearly getting smaller, but the scale was not budging. I stopped weighing myself and decided to wait a week to reweigh myself (I was stalled for 2 weeks) and when I got back on the scale, I was 8 pounds lighter! It's so weird how our bodies work after surgery. The stalls are totally normal. Just keep up the good work and eventually the scale will move again :)

lionhounds
on 11/19/14 2:58 pm - Burleson, TX

Thanks for the support. BIG HUG! :)

mevoila86
on 11/19/14 8:00 pm

I'm at week 6 and I hit a 3 week stall about 2 weeks after surgery. The body is adjusting and you just have to wait it out. I always remind myself that I'm eating too little to actually put on weight. And you can stomach anything that might sabotage your progress. So, you're going to be fine. This sleeve teaches you patience! Congrats on all you have accomplished! The insulin and your energy... You are really rocking this out!

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy: October 9, 2014 with Dr. Val Prokurat at Centra State Medical Center in Freehold, NJ.

Tracy D.
on 11/19/14 11:17 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The reason you are losing inches and the scale isn't budging is because you are retaining WATER!   I should probably save every post I make on this so I can do a cut-and-paste.  The scale is a horrible indicator of how much fat you are losing....your measurements are the best indicator for that.  

While you are dropping fat like a bad habit, your muscles are busy restoring their depleted glycogen stores and part of this process requires hanging onto an immense amount of water.  A gallon of water weighs 8 lbs.   So it's entirely possible to lose 8 pounds of fat with the scale not budging at all.  

Take a deep breath and relax because in a couple weeks you'll drop this water weight and the scale will start moving again.  Make sure you are drinking at least 64 oz. of water (80 if you are exercising).  

I guess a question I have is why is your doctor allowing you to decrease your insulin with blood sugars so high?  Running high blood sugars like that tells the body to store fat rather than release it. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

lfenix
on 11/20/14 9:47 pm
VSG on 10/27/14 with

What if I'm stalled and not losing weight or inches?  

54, Height 5'2", HW 229 PreOp Diet SW 220  Surg W 214 (10/27/14) GW 135 CW 192

Tracy D.
on 11/21/14 4:50 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Patience :-)  No one in the history of WLS has stopped losing weight for good at 3 weeks.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

lfenix
on 11/21/14 4:56 am
VSG on 10/27/14 with

54, Height 5'2", HW 229 PreOp Diet SW 220  Surg W 214 (10/27/14) GW 135 CW 192

LilSleeved
on 11/20/14 4:11 pm

I have used Chris Powell's Carb Cycling plan and I haven't had any plateaus.  I started right after being Sleeved and continued into maintenance.  IT's a healthy way to eat and having no stalls makes a big difference.

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

lionhounds
on 11/20/14 4:42 pm - Burleson, TX

I never heard of him. I'm eating hardly no carbs.

Most Active