Soup, anyone?

psychoticparrot
on 11/19/14 9:22 pm

What is the thinking about soups on the sleeve diet? Sleevers aren't supposed to have liquids during their meals, only before and after. How would you eat (drink?) the broth? Or wouldn't you? Maybe eat the vegetables first, and then sip broth until full? I'm talking soups like vegetable soup, not pureed soups.

I love soup and would like to continue eating it after my sleeve surgery (tentatively scheduled for January), but I'm wondering if it's something to be avoided. 

Any thoughts, advice? Thanks.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 11/19/14 10:31 pm - MI

I love soup and I'm a month out. I asked my nutritionist and she suggested that I measure out 4 ounces of soup so that is what I have been doing with white chicken chili, chili, vegtanle beef, etc and I eat 4 ounces of the broth and all the yummy meats and veggies.

Bufflehead
on 11/19/14 10:43 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

My program doesn't allow soup because of this issue. We can strain it and drink the broth as a liquid, and/or eat the solids (once we are cleared for solids), but we would have to either drink the broth and then eat the solids, or eat the solids and then wait for 30 minutes to drink the broth.

We can eat really thick soup/stew type things such as thick chili.

I am not much of a soup fan anyway so I haven't bothered with soup since getting sleeved, except once in a restaurant I ordered some creamy (no chunks) soup.

mmsmom
on 11/19/14 11:01 pm - Woburn, MA

I eat soup and actually find it filling. .

VSG on 04/28/2014

Tracy D.
on 11/19/14 11:09 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm 18 months out and soup/stew/chili still presents a problem for me.  I absolutely can't do liquid with my meal so I end up not being able to eat very much soup at all unless it's pure broth or something with very little bulk to it (like broccoli cheddar soup)...which means very little protein.  Most soups don't provide the nutritional "bang for the buck" so I just avoid them.  

With stew and chili, I eat the solids and leave the broth.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

MayPenGirl
on 11/19/14 11:10 pm - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 04/03/13

I also drink soup.  However, you have to drink the broth first and then the veggies after.  If you eat the veggies first you have to wait 30 minutes before you can drink the broth or else it will all come back up.

Surgery date - 04/03/13; Goal date - 11/10/13 (I reached goal in 31 weeks & 4 days)

Highest weight 261  SW 258  GW 150   M1 -26  M2 -14  M3 -10  M4 -12  M5 -13  M6 -12  M7 -11  M8 -10  In maintenance since November 2013  HT- 5'6"  

rumpole6
on 11/20/14 1:01 am

I have soup, but its the meal, but I like the thick creamy soups with lots of stuff in it. I see your point about a clear soup, but you probably will not be able to eat a meal right after the soup anyway. I find even the sliders take some time to pass through.

As a new sleever still in soft foods, I resolved to skip the soup on Thanksgiving and stick with the turkey and maybe a little stuffing.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

psychoticparrot
on 11/20/14 2:02 am

Thanks all for your helpful comments. It appears that thick soups/stews are okay if you can tolerate them, but soups with a lot of broth (my favorite) must be eaten in stages, if at all. 

purplelite
on 11/20/14 9:40 am

I consider  thin  soups as liquids and keep them separate from everything else. 

DSJSMOM23
on 11/20/14 11:51 am
VSG on 06/24/14

In my program, soup is the exception to the liquid/solid rule. I have soup all the time, and have no issues.

Most Active