RESEARCHING PHYSICIANS: Can anyone help me ?

brandao_henderson
on 11/20/14 3:26 am - Brick, NJ

After 4 years of debating, I have finally gotten the nerve to go through with the whole process of the VSG.

I attended my first seminar on the 18th of Nov with Meridian Weightless aka.. Dr. Strom's office located out of Bayshore Hospital.  

I am not sure if I want to use them or someone else.  I particularly would like to have the procedure at Jersey Shore or Monmouth.

Dr. Borao's office won't take my ins and I seen Dr. Bilof was local but I am not sure what Hospital he works out of.  

Please help...

mevoila86
on 11/20/14 10:19 am

Congratulations on deciding! I don't live too far away from you in Sea Bright and had my surgery at Centra State in Freehold. Its a bariatric surgery Center of Excellence. I liked the facility and everyone was very nice, helpful and understanding. I really like my surgeon, Dr. Prokurat. He's got a great bedside manner and is very accessible. The office he works out of accepts a lot of different insurance plans. They are called NJ Advanced Surgical Solutions. Hope that helps!

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy: October 9, 2014 with Dr. Val Prokurat at Centra State Medical Center in Freehold, NJ.

brandao_henderson
on 11/20/14 11:46 am, edited 11/20/14 11:47 am - Brick, NJ

Thank you so much Mev! I will definitely look into the Dr you recommended !  My husband works nearby there plus I like Centrastate 👍

sechax0r
on 11/20/14 10:00 pm
VSG on 11/03/14

I highly recommend making sure that whoever you choose is a "bariatric surgery Center of Excellence". They have certain guidelines and reporting they have to go through. I would also make sure the hospital has a dedicated bariatric team. They understand the special needs of bariatric patients and will make sure you are properly treated.

The surgeon I used had their own staff full time in the hospital to check on you throughout the process. This included a Certified Bariatric Nurse and Nutritionist that "rounded" to check on you. He also had his "preferred team" for the actual surgical process. This included the pre-op nurse, anastealogist, OR staff, and assistant.  The nursing staff were all very familiar with the surgeon and his requirements. I heard many times "Oh, you are one of Dr. Greene's patients". That really gave me comfort and I had zero complications and was actually up and walking 15 minutes after they brought me to my room. 

On another note, my insurance didn't cover my surgeon as in network, but they did cover everything else. My out of pocket will be about $4000-$5000 but in my opinion it is worth every penny. 

brandao_henderson
on 11/20/14 11:00 pm - Brick, NJ

Thank you so much for the information.  

fran67
on 11/20/14 10:59 pm, edited 11/20/14 10:59 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/08/12

I live in Monmouth co but chose to go with Dr. Nusbaum out of Morristown hospital (my mother used him for the bypass too).  I know it's a little far (an hour or so) but he is worth it.  Good luck!

4' 11" HW 218 SW 214 Original Goal of 125 in 8.5 mos Lowest Weight 119 CW 133 Trying to get back in the 122-128 range 

brandao_henderson
on 11/20/14 11:43 pm - Brick, NJ

thank you Fran 

JoeyJo
on 11/21/14 1:39 am - NJ

My insurance did not cover Dr. Borao but covered Dr. Binenbaum from the same office, which was odd.   Dr. Binenbaum did a great job, by the way.  I am very happy to have had no complications and no problems other than the inevitable hair loss.

brandao_henderson
on 11/21/14 1:56 am - Brick, NJ

HAIR LOSS?  Is that common ?

JoeyJo
on 11/21/14 1:18 pm - NJ

A lot of people lose some hair from the shock and trauma of the surgery and from not getting enough protein right afterwards.  There's lots of information about it on this forum.  Do a search for "hair".  I lost a lot of hair - not enough to see scalp or bald spots.   The hair comes back but it's still upsetting.  

Most Active