Worried about work interference

Flaired
on 11/15/14 2:08 pm, edited 11/15/14 11:10 pm

Hi all,  my first post. I just started this process and have my first of 6 monthly pre-op appointment this Tuesday. I have been researching every night for weeks, and to be honest, I'm terrified that I will fail because of work. 

I am in condo management. I manage 14 properties and average 5 evening (after-hours) meetings a year for each property on top of the ~55 hours a week in the office glued to my chair because the work load is so great. So 14 properties x 5 meetings = 72 meetings a year. These meetings start at 7ish, and last until around 10. So on 72 workdays of the year, I work 14 or so hours. 

Not to mention I'm on call 24/7 and required to respond to emergencies. 

I'm worried that this kind of work is not compatible with what is needed to lose weight even with a vsg. I'm so exhausted after working 60 hour work weeks that walking 5 miles a day or working out 45 minutes a day 6 days a week is going to be nearly impossible. Even making something healthy to eat sometimes takes more time and energy than I have. 

I'm not sure if I should continue the process or wait until I have another job... If that is even in the cards. I'm getting increasingly skeptical that it will work. 

Help? 

rumpole6
on 11/15/14 11:06 pm

I share your concern, I work 12 hours days as well and barely have time to eat dinner and go to sleep in the evenings. I'm post-op, the weight is coming off and a do no extra exercise to speak of. I am fairly actice: I walk between 9k and 10k steps 5 days a week. 

At one of the support groups, they discussed exercise and that every bit helps. There are a lot of things you can do while sitting at your desk. You might check that out.

You are not alone! Exercise is important, not for weightloss but to maintain muscle mass so look around for things you can do in 5 minute bursts during the day. You don't need to become a gym rat!

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

Mary Gee
on 11/15/14 11:24 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Sounds like you have a very stressful job - and it probably affects your health.  It's a tough choice, but you need to take care of yourself.   I'm sure you entitled to vacation and sick time.  You have the right to medical leave.  I'm sure if you put things in perspective you'll be able to figure out solutions.  When I struggle with decisions, I try to take "me" out of the picture, and look at the problem from the outside.  Surgery will not put you flat on your back.

Try using the search feature and read back posts about recovery time and time off from work.  If you really want the surgery, you will work it out.

I wish you the best.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Bufflehead
on 11/15/14 11:32 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Exercise is great for your health but not particularly important for weight loss - at least that's what a lot of science seems to show:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-jonny-bowden/exercise-benef its_b_1777630.html

Exercising But Gaining Weight - the NY Times

Quadriplegics can lose weight. It's all about what you put in your mouth.

You also don't have to be a master chef to eat healthy. I get a lot of pre-cooked meats from Trader Joe's and heat them up in the microwave. I use frozen vegetables most of the time. It takes 2 minutes to make a healthy protein shake. It doesn't take any more work or time to eat a cheese stick or some beef jerky  for a snack than it does a candy bar. So, don't let your lack of time be an excuse to not take this step towards a healthier and happier life.

Yes, you will have to advocate for yourself in terms of time off and perhaps a gradual return to work in the very early stages - but after the first few weeks, barring major complications, you should be just fine. Good luck!

Gwen M.
on 11/16/14 12:54 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I really like that NYT article!  I just read it yesterday and thought it was great.  

I have a friend who asks me for weight loss advice.  She's one of those people who works out during the week and then says, "so it's okay if I have pizza and wine this weekend since I worked out!" and then complains to me that she's not losing weight.  SIGH.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Bufflehead
on 11/16/14 3:05 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

lol, have her watch these videos:

Stair climber vs. hamburger combo

treadmill vs. pizza

Gwen M.
on 11/16/14 5:20 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Nice!

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

weeziebeth
on 11/15/14 11:36 pm

I think every one of us has similar concerns-not your exact scenario but we (practically) all have jobs, school, kids, parents, etc. that place demands on our time and emotions. It sounds like you are looking for reasons not to do this, as opposed to looking at what you need to do to take control of your health. That's not judgement per se-I think most of us have done the same, I know I certainly did. I used the pre-op time to think through issues and concerns-you are making changes as you go through the process and this should help you see the do-ability of the whole thing and allow you to do some self-reflection to see if you are emotionally ready to be committed to this. Now, it may very well be that your job is (and may continue to have) a negative impact on your health. If thats the case, you need to decide which is more important-your job or your health. What are your priorities? Please understand, I get the pressures of needing to provide for family but really-if you have a massive heart attack as a consequence of obesity you are going to put them in much more dire financial straits than taking a less-financially lucrative job would do. 

What is important to you? We find ways to do what is important. I know there are quite a few nurses on this site. They work 12-14 hours every time they work, and they work anywhere from 3-5 shifts/week. During those shifts they are not allowed to have drinks at their side-must be in a non-patient care area. They may or may not get to eat at regular times. Often times they go 12 hours without a chance to pee. And yet, for many of them, they have found a way to make this work. 

As for the exercise issue-thats a tough one. It has been repeated many times on this site--exercise is much more about your fitness than weight loss. Weight loss is 90% what you put in your mouth and 10% exercise. That said-find ways to work it in. I work on the 7th floor-I started taking the stairs. Started with 2 flights of stairs, 5 flights on the elevator and am working my way up. If I need to go somewhere during the course of the day if its 3 flights in any direction i take stairs as opposed to the elevator. I park farther away from the store rather than close (makes finding a parking spot much easier too). 

I would encourage you to start the process, make small changes. You may surprise yourself with how manageable you can make it. I know I did. 

HW 285 SW 248 CW 218  Surgery date: 12/2/14                 "Life itself is the proper binge." Julia Child      

"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''  Winston Churchill

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 11/15/14 11:47 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

I'd start parking further away from the entrance of any store or building I was going to, a little at a time, a little more every few days. If you have one day to yourself maybe make two big meals and freeze portions so they are ready to go and you don't have to make something everyday.

Gwen M.
on 11/16/14 12:52 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You don't need to exercise to lose weight.  Exercise is awesome for other stuff, but eating is really where it's at for weight loss.  Will you be able to maintain a healthy diet post-op?  That's the question you should be asking :)

Most Active