Hosting Thanksgiving 5 weeks Post Op

thegoodelady
on 11/17/14 9:59 am

How do you handle the holidays?  Food choice strategies?

Gwen M.
on 11/17/14 10:12 am, edited 11/17/14 10:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'll be making the same things I've always made, just in smaller quantities because I won't be able to gorge on leftovers like I have in the past.  I'll measure out my 3 ounces of turkey (dark meat since it's more tender) and then have a bite of the sides I want to try.  My one "major" change for the holidays is that I plan to eat solid food for breakfast with my family instead of having my normal protein shake.  

At five weeks, though.. eek.  I was still on soft foods.  So I'd have to plan really carefully.  Turkey isn't a very soft meat, so I'd probably make fish or something for myself as my protein.  

I guess my best advice is "be involved as much as you can in the planning of holiday meals."  That way you'll know that there's something you can eat.  I do Thanksgiving, so that's an easy one for me.  I go to my parents' place for Christmas, but my mom has always involved me in all of the meal planning and cooking, so that'll make things easier for my post-sleeve life.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jenn1469
on 11/17/14 10:13 am

Wow your brave there's no way I could dothat and II'm 5 mos post op. I'm going tovVegas for my son'sffootball championship.  So got out of that one. But who knows if I can be strong for Christmas dinner because I'm the cook formy  family. 

Jennifer

GoBlueGirl1998
on 11/17/14 10:54 am - MI

I'll be 5 weeks post op and I'll be hosting Thanksgiving. I plan on making everything I usually male. I like having control of what I'm cooking and how I cook it. I also know that I'll have items that I can eat! I love to cook and that hasn't changed with surgery. I may even have a bite of pumpkin pie but over all I plan on measuring & protein first and a bite of other things if I want them. Good luck to you and happy thanksgiving!

ShrinkingViolet2013
on 11/17/14 12:17 pm

I was where you will be last year.  I was on pureed food at that point, so I wasn't able to eat turkey, as it was too dense.  So, I brought tuna with me and had a bite of a sweet potato that I mashed up really well and savored.  I couldn't eat much food, but thoroughly enjoyed being with family.  This year, I'm bringing mashed roasted butternut squash so that I know what is in it - a drop of smart balance and some cinnamon.  You can also do pumpkin with spices in it, like nutmeg, cloves, etc.  Lots of good luck and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

thegoodelady
on 11/17/14 12:47 pm

Thank you so much for the tips.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Kelly Jean
on 11/17/14 6:01 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

This can be tough ... but by you doing it you have the control...  Also I don't know about you but when I cook it for some weird reason it's boring to me so I don't eat as much.... 

What about maybe some nice moist turkey salad ... you should be able to have that at 5 weeks this way you don't feel left out.. and in between go for walks ... play some cards and or family boars games ... this way it's not about food... make it about what this holiday truly is ..that we all seem to have forgotten ..about bring thankful ... not a glutton ... or football or sleeping!!! That's my goal this year!!!!! Good luck to you !!! Have a very Happy thanksgiving! !! :-)

♡ Kelly

Valerie G.
on 11/17/14 9:19 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I put the proper amount of protein I need, then a spoonful of everything else I want on the plate.  I'm going to finish that protein if I finish anything, so I start with it first.  I then enjoy a taste of everything else until I'm full.  I don't feel deprived and I didn't eat much of anything detrimental.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active