Not tolerating prescription meds after surgery

parkmanmom
on 11/21/14 8:26 am - OH

I wondered if anyone else had issues with meds after surgery. I had no problem with my antidepressant (Brintellix) prior to surgery but get nauseous and frequently vomit after taking it since surgery. I've tried different times of day and with and without food. My Doctor can't seem to explain it and I really don't want to switch at this point as it wasn't easy finding this one that works so well. Any advice would help, I'm hoping it's temporary.

BostonJoe
on 11/21/14 10:07 am

How far out from surgery are you? I wouldn't decide anything until you're at least 6-8 weeks out. You may not want to switch, but what you're taking now won't do you any good if it's not staying down long enough to get into your bloodstream.

VSG 8/4/14 

parkmanmom
on 11/21/14 10:22 pm - OH

I'm 4 weeks out. It's interesting because I was researching more online last night and I actually throw up mucus (known as "foamies"). I do it usually within 10 - 15 minutes after I take the pill so I'm sure it's coming up too. But food rarely comes up with it. So while I do have the foamies (and occasionally throw up from that) it's the pill that actually causes me to vomit. I'm on Prevacid twice a day, on lactose free items, avoid artificial sweeteners and sip hot tea throughout the day. I'm at a loss as to what else to do except give it time. There are days it stays down and I'm on a secondary antidepressant so I'm hoping I getting enough to help. Thank you so much for your input.

BostonJoe
on 11/22/14 12:01 am

Are you crushing them? I had to crush my pills for 8 weeks. Let me tell you, crushed Wellbutrin is pretty foul.

VSG 8/4/14 

parkmanmom
on 11/22/14 4:38 am - OH

I was crushing them (Wellbutrin is my other med) and you're right, it is so bitter! Since my pills are so small I asked my doctor if I could take them whole, thinking the bitterness was causing the vomiting. She said I could as long as I took them separately but it seems it was the meds themselves. Will keep plugging along. Good luck to you and thanks for your help.

Most Active