The Difference Two Years and 250+ lbs Lost Can Make! (Post-Plastics Pics Available)

Nikke2003
on 11/26/14 1:41 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

November 20th was the two year "anniversary" of sorts since I decided to live a healthier life. I had my first appointment with the weight management clinic and when I showed up there, I didn't really know what to expect. I had assumed, at my size, they would recommend weight loss surgery... but I wasn't completely sold on the idea. It was November 20th, 2012 when I had my first appointment and when I made a decision to improve my life - and I haven't looked back since!

When I started the process, I was 444.4 lbs and I still can't really wrap my head around that number. It's only been two short years, but if I'm going to be honest... I've almost completely forgotten the physical, emotional, and mental anguish of being 250+ lbs overweight. I'm not sure why that is... maybe it's because by the age of 18 or 19, I had (at most) been 25-30 lbs overweight and haven't experienced severe morbid obesity for my entire life.

On one hand, I'm happy that I can't remember that pain... since I have vague memories of it being complete torture and absolutely miserable. On the other hand, I worry that not remember how it felt to be that size could lead to a very gradual return to a former life that I'm trying to completely forget.

I'm not going to lie to you - life is much better. Life is easier. For anyone who hasn't been obese, morbidly obese, or severely morbidly obese, it would be difficult for you to understand. The mental freedom I have in knowing I can fit into chairs (without them breaking), go into any store to buy clothing, be in good health, ride roller coasters, fly in airplanes, move about a room with ease, etc. is so freeing. I no longer feel like a prisoner in my own body. It's a beautiful thing.

I've become happier, more social, more confident. It's amazing to see how the world has changed around me too. My husband and I are no longer asked if we want "separate checks" when we go out to eat. People smile at me a lot more and chit-chat (mostly men), and people will hold doors open for me wherever I go. It's definitely an interesting and welcome change.

So, today I weighed in at 192.8. The lowest I saw on the scale after plastic surgery was 189 for a day. Within the last week, I experienced some bad eating days and LOTS of swelling and actually saw 201.2 last Thursday. It scared me for sure. I'm coming back down now and I'm very happy about it! Honestly, I'd love to see 185 on the scale, but settling for 189 would be fine too. I just want to fit comfortably into any size 10 or 12, medium or large and focus now on strength training and staying active. The number on the scale will just drive me crazy.... but, I do hope to do body fat % testing again next month to see if there is any change from almost a year ago when I did it in February.

If you are interested in looking at my two month progress pics (beware, they are nudes) on my blog... visit flirtybythirty.wordpress.com and use the password capella2014.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 11/26/14 2:01 am
VSG on 01/11/16

You healed up so wonderfully .. it looks great :)

Fantastic post! .. I teared up reading it lol 

Thank you so much for being so open with your journey giving us a chance to learn and be inspired by you. 

Nikke2003
on 11/28/14 8:22 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Thank you for reading and for the support!!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Luvmygs
on 11/26/14 2:40 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Nikke, This made me cry, but tears of joy. I am so happy for you. Your story is such an inspiration to me and I enjoy reading happy beginnings! I wish you a happy life.

Christine

Nikke2003
on 11/28/14 8:22 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Thank you so much for the support!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/14 3:20 am

Hey there! What a wonderful salute to the anniversary of your decision to take charge of your health and your future!

You hold on to those memories of what it was like to be obese! Don't ever forget. My biggest mistake in this process was adopting the attitude that I could be "normal" because I was so nice and trim and fit. Well, my normal is very abnormal - go figure I was a morbidly obese man! Anyhow, I believe that understanding your "demons" and keeping your past in mind will be helpful in the long run. While I am far from obese, I am carrying that extra bit of weight and much preferred my lighter self. It's a bit of a ***** to be back under a physician's watchful eye with regular weigh ins to help me get back to goal. But then again, if that's what it takes....

Congrats on a fantastic two years! Your post helped me recall some of your early posts and how we all knew even then how successful you would be. You certainly are an awesome young woman - someone whom I am proud to know (even if it is only in cyber space! LOL)!

Nikke2003
on 11/28/14 8:25 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Thank you!! I really am trying to hold on to the memories.... honestly, it's one of the main reasons I still go to support group meetings here in my town. First, it's a 5 minute walk from my house so it's convenient.... but I'm really the only post-op person that goes and I use them as a reminder of what it used to be like to be in the pre-oppers shoes. For some reason that makes me feel kind of weird to say for some reason (that I go to be reminded of where I don't want to be again), and I certainly don't intend for it to be mean. 

I'm proud to know you as well! You have been so supportive and a great help and I am lucky to have "met" you in cyber space!!! 

HuskerBrenda
on 11/26/14 6:01 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 09/23/13

You were beautiful before, but now....Stunning!

Your results are fabulous!

45y/o  5'4" Sleeve 9/23/13 Dr. Thomas White  HW 245; SW 232.8; CW 141.8

Nikke2003
on 11/28/14 8:25 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Thank you so much!!

kerry B.
on 11/26/14 8:27 am
VSG on 11/04/13

Congratulations Nikke!  It has been so amazing to follow your journey.  I remember when I was about to have surgery a year ago and reading your posts was so comforting.  

I absolutely understand what you mean by forgetting what life used to be like.  I mentioned this to my therapist at my last session.  I told her I was trying to remember all the bad and it was so difficult to put myself in the space again.  I remember feeling fear, feeling shame, and my self hatred, but I am in such a different place now mentally, emotionally that it is hard to feel the extremes I allowed myself to suffer.  On the other side of that coin, I once lost 70 pounds and remember being happy and enjoying shopping and such.  I can't remember what changed that led me to regaining all the weight back.  I have been trying to figure that one out too so I can recognize it if it rears its ugly head.

You are such a rockstar, Nikke!  

5'9", 52 years old, 10 years postop VSG, HW 316 CW 195. Updated 11-12-23

Most Active