Question about Calcium Citrate and Protein...

Helen O.
on 11/26/14 3:04 am

Hey, everyone.  I've tried calling my nutritionist, but everyone's out of the office until next week.  I'm one week post op, and I need to get some calcium citrate in my body on the double!  I've been searching for the chewable or liquid forms in stores near me since before surgery to no avail.  I see some online, but I don't know how I'm going to be able to afford those long-term. It may not be for everyone, but $30-$40 a month for just *one* of the vitamins I take is pretty steep for my budget. O_O Has anyone had success with buying the regular pills like Citracal and just crushing them and mixing them into pudding or just chewing them as they are? Will this work?  Because it's waaay more affordable.

Protein! My nut told me to stick to "complete protein" supplements and stated that many kinds are not "complete proteins" and therefore not as good in some magical way that I don't understand.  Whey seems to be the leader on the shelves at grocery stores... Which protein powders should I be avoiding?

Reminder: I have tried to contact my Nut, so no need to remind me to do that.  She's out for the holiday.  That's why I'm asking here. =)

HW: 410+ SW: 374 DOS: 359 CW: 328  GW: 180

VSG November 19 2014!

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/14 3:28 am

1. Protein - Whey Protein Isolate is the easiest for us to absorb. I'd go with that. There are several, but the one I use is GNC's Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. I scoop has 2 carbs and 20 grams of protein. It's tasty and mixed with unsweetened almond milk is very nice to drink. It's not cheap, but it's still cheaper than the RTD protein drinks you get at Costco.

2. Don't sweat the calcium right now. I wasn't even allowed to take it for two weeks post surgery. Your plan might be different, but just wanted to let you know that it's probably not life or death if you don't have it for two weeks. I believe Trader Joe's has a chewable calcium you can buy relatively inexpensively. I also found the chewable calciums to be very chalky and uber expensive. I go to CVS and buy their store brand. I've been able to swallow those babies since I was about 4 weeks out. I was told it was okay to cut them in half, too.

Lisarn1
on 11/26/14 3:47 am - Raleigh, NC

Congratulations on your surgery. I know that this is  one of the most challenging times for you. As far as needing your Calcium Citrate immediately, please bear in mind that you are only one week out from surgery. Your biggest challenge right now is to make sure that you meet your hydration needs. I don't know which surgery you've had, but regular Calcium Citrate pills are generally large, and might do damage to your stomach so soon after surgery. I suppose you can look in the pharmacies for the chewables or, if you can find them, the capsules. I did not concentrate on vitamins until week 3 or 4 with my original surgery, as well for my revision. 

As far as protein, I can surmise that the RD might mean a meal replacement type of protein, such as Bariatric Advantage. Other brands have the protein, but are not considered a meal replacement. I have always preferred Jay Robb Whey Isolate protein, but I have only used it to suppliment my protein intake around regular meals. I suppose it would be up to you as to what type of protein you choose to use. When choosing, however, please try to buy protein powder that either has whey isolate as the first ingredient, or if you are lactose intolerant, go for egg white protein powder. I would minimize the carb grams, as well.

I hope this helps.

Lisa

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

Lisarn1
on 11/26/14 3:48 am - Raleigh, NC

Sorry, just saw that you had the VSG.

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

jaifra78
on 11/26/14 3:52 am, edited 11/26/14 4:00 am
RNY on 04/16/14

I buy my calcium citrate at vitacost I get the one with the vitamin d but they have some with out d if you don't need d, but its 9.99 for a two months supply. I would suggest if you need other vitamins to look there and see if they have what you need and order them all at the same time to save on shipping but the shipping is very reasonable and they have free shipping if you order 25 dollars or more so order a couple bottles at once. also the have buy one get one free deals all the time.  They are not chewable but you can definitely crush them if you need to they have chewable but you get half as many for the same price. here is a link http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-calcium-citrate-with-vitami n-d3-1000-mg-240-tablets-3

Luvmygs
on 11/26/14 5:00 am
VSG on 12/04/14

My surgery is scheduled for next week and I attend a pre-op class last week. They told me to wait until after a week to start with chewable multi-vitamins and calcium. I started taking LifeTime liquid calcium citrate (orange flavor). I bought this at my local Health Food store for $13. Good luck.

knolmom
on 11/26/14 9:46 am

Started practicing with my caltrate when I got it a month ago. It dissolves in your mouth if u keep it on your tongue. Just bought the Alive liquid muti vitamin in a 30 day supply. I was not told whether or not to bring my vitamins to the hospital. I know my surgeon is ordering my regular meds from the hospital while I am there. I went to my Cardio today to see if my Avapro comes in liquid form because the pill form is the size of a " horse aspirin". She said no, just grind it up. Might have to put it in the Magic bullet LOL. All the other prescription pills are pretty small.

Most Active