6 month required diet on insurance questions

shan78smurf
on 11/26/14 5:10 pm - Louisville , KY

I've heard my insurance requires 6 month documented weight loss program. I've been doing weigh****chers online. Is that relevant ir you go to in person&/or pay for? it have to be a meeting or program you go to in

Mary Gee
on 11/26/14 6:41 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Different insurance companies have different requirements.  Get a copy of your policy and review it carefully - then call your insurance company if you still have questions. I never was on a specific diet regime - but I saw my PCP every month for a year for other issues.  He had recommended the surgery, and we discussed my weight at my visits.  So he wrote a letter outlining my weight history and the fact that I saw him every month -- that was sufficient for MY insurer.  Some insurers would accept the Weigh****cher program - others don't.  Your surgeon's office may be familiar with what your insurer requires, but I'd check personally.

Generally speaking, it takes about six months to get through the pre-op stage, so even if you have to do a "formal supervised diet" you'll have it don in time for surgery.

Best of luck!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

DeeNY52
on 11/26/14 11:12 pm

My surgeon required you to follow the South Beach Diet and lose 5% of your weight before scheduling the surgery.  It seems like every surgeon and insurance has different requirements.  Whatever they ask, DO IT.  You will not regret getting the sleeve!

Dee

pebtash
on 11/29/14 5:12 am
VSG on 11/25/14

Everyone will tell you something different. I was told no weigh****chers doesn't count but maybe your insurance will accept it. I will  say though I had to go through 6 months prior and now very grateful that I did. I know some people that didn't have to go through all that I did, I had many classes and a exercise program to go through. I kept everything my folder must be at least 2 1/2 inches thick with everything I had to learn. The people I know that didn't go through all that I had to is already (at 2 months out) eating as much as they want and not drinking what they should be. Going through 6 months is a big pain but it went by quick and I am very grateful for all the knowledge now.  I wish you the best and good luck.

Most Active