Pre-op Protein Powder Sample Spree - The Taste Tests.

WLStruggles
on 11/21/14 12:29 am

Ok, So first off, I'm pre op.  Surgery 12/1. I know lots of people say their tastes change after surgery so I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I needed some idea what to have on hand, even if it was in single serve packets for when I got home. Here is a mini review, based on my taste preferences and what I remember about them, which can be sketchy when it comes to the stats.  I hope it, at least, gives someone else some ideas if they are newbies, or are sick of what they are already using.

First, I tried GNC Lean 25 RTD. Chocolate. Could have been Double Chocolate or something like that…. I just bought one from their cooler case.   YUCK!  I took a total of 2 sips then no more.  One initial sip and a second to make sure (Sometime the first sip isn't that great, but it grows on you if I try again-- not this one)  I believe the Calories/fat/Sugar was reasonable and the protein was 25, but it wow, it was Mega SWEET and I just couldn't drink it.  It's off the buy list.

Syntrax Nectar Strawberry Kiwi.  Yum.  I'll admit, I love plain water and am not one to typically drink fruit juices or add Crystal Light etc to my water, but when it includes 21-23 grams of protein, I was more than thrilled to give these a try.  I imagine the standby's of chocolate and vanilla will grow old fast.  I'm pretty sure I can count these toward my water intake, as well as my protein intake. Win. Win.  I did however split my sample (equal to one scoop, or 23 grams of protein) into half.  This gave me a flavor that I found delicious. Not in your face fruity, but plenty of flavor and I detected no aftertaste. Yes, it was about 12 grams of protein instead of the full amount, but knowing myself I thought it best to start light and work up.  I added 1/2 the sample pan to 12 oz of water, shook, then added ice to fill up my 24 oz water bottle.  I loved it.  I drank it in the evening and promptly made the other half the next morning.  I ordered a tub of this online.

Syntrax Nectar Caribbean Cooler  Stats, Same as above. I prepare same as above.  LOVE.  I felt I could easily add more to this flavor before it became to fruity for me.  Lovely Coconut and mild pineapple flavors.  Wished I had bought more than one sample. Ordered a tub.

Jay Robb Tropical Dreamsicle  I found this to be ok.  Tolerable, but nothing I would likely buy again, there are just too many that taste better to me.  It had 25 grams of protein.  I have more Jay Robb samples to try and haven't given up on this brand since so many people like it.  This flavor however was just so-so.

Betty Lou's Orange Cream  BUY. THIS. STUFF. !!  At least a sample pack if you can find it. I used the entire packet in about 12-16 oz water and added ice to my 24 oz bottle. 20 grams of protein, Zero Sugar.  Hello Orange Julius.  Wow, I was thrilled with this one.  No, beyond thrilled.  I got my sample at Vitamin Shoppe, but it is made locally in my PNW region, so I'm not sure if they are carried Nationwide at Vitamin Shoppe.  Look for it though. It's a Low Gylcemic "Designer Shake" according to the packaging. I was able to previous get and use the Vanilla and Chocolate via Costco.com.  It's not cheap stuff.  The Chocolate and Vanilla are non GMO (I didn't look at the Orange)  There is only 15 servings in a tub and the tub was over 30 bucks. (Choc. & Vanilla combo pack was 50 bucks at Costo.com)  So, not cheap, but for me... Worth it!  I have used Chocolate and Vanilla in shakes, but they all had other ingredients (fruit/powered peanut butter/spinach, etc) so I can't tell you how they are with jus****er, but the Orange + Water = Fantastic!  Thinner obviously than an Orange Julius, but IMO, as close as I'm going to get. Very Creamy tasting, and my husband that turns his nose up to Protein shakes thought it tasted great too.

Just remembered I have an appointment so I will have to finish the rest later.  

Goose Bump
on 11/21/14 2:08 am

Great reviews and thanks for the suggestions.

VSG on 6/25/14  HW:360 GW:170  33yo 5'8''

Karen H.
on 11/21/14 7:13 am
VSG on 12/08/14

Thank you so much!!! Looking forward to more suggestions! That was so helpful! I start my liquid diet Monday.

Goose Bump
on 11/21/14 2:12 am
Most Active