3 month pre op diet

Bbinder2002
on 11/26/14 8:49 am

what a time of the year to be on a 3 month diet for sleeve approval.  I'm trying to cheat only on the actual holidays.  Anyone have any tips through this process?  Also when do you transition from soft foods to regular food after the surgery?  

Gwen M.
on 11/26/14 9:02 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Pre-op, I modified my diet to replace meals I ate by myself with shakes and then I ate normal meals when I was with people.  I imagine I would do the same thing through the holidays.  

Every surgeon's post-op eating plan is different, so check with your surgeon for specifics.  I had 2 weeks full liquids, 2 weeks purees, 2 weeks soft solids, and then I was at my forever diet.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

knolmom
on 11/26/14 9:25 am

I am on my surgeons pre op diet for the last month as I have a BMI over 50 and I am having surgery DEC 3. Mercifully, my date was moved up from Jan7 or I would be doing the 2 shakes+ I meal if lean dense protein plus greens. Unmercifully, since I believed my date was going to be in January I invited the usual crowd for Thanksgiving. I am trying to make the stuffing tonight without tasting, or by tasting and spitting it out. I am too close to surgery to be fooling around and eating sausage, raw mushrooms ect.

I will have turkey, plain steamed green beans, turnips( small amt) and I will sneak in a yam, which I am allowed. I keep telling myself to be good and you can entertain in your bikini( and fur coat size 10) if we have a snowstorm again next year. 

Meanwhile, my husband is watching an Italian cooking show on TV. He is trying to gain weight after a series of physically debilitating illnesses. Good luck to everyone tomorrow and on the rest of your journey.

Cee1987
on 11/26/14 10:07 am

Good luck knolmom.  I have faith you will survive Thanksgiving.  I had my surgery on Nov. 20th and I'm currently in the liquid phase.  My daughter is home from college and absolutely loves Thanksgiving so I was determined to cook her a decent meal.  It has definitely been a struggle for me but I'm doing it and so can you.  Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.  God Bless!!

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 11/26/14 9:26 am
VSG on 01/11/16

I'm going into the holidays with the mindset of, this is NOT my last holiday hurrah so I need to load up and have food funerals of all my favorites. Anytime I am tempted to eat something I really shouldn't be.. I remind myself .. more weight on is only more weight to lose and longer until I get to goal.. Although, it doesn't always work :) 

Transitioning from clear liquids to full liquids to puree to soft to regular, depends on the plan your Dr. gives you.. different surgeons have different timelines.. my plans calls for; sugar-free clear liquids 1st week, full liquids 2nd week, pureed the 3rd week, soft foods 4/5 week then adding in regular foods, one food at a time.

My pre-op diet is a two week liquid protein diet.

rumpole6
on 11/26/14 10:41 am

All you can do is the best you can. I think it possible to make good choices for your holiday meals, and I agree this is not your last holiday. My plan is liquids 2 wks, purees 2 wks, and softs for 4 weeks so I find myself going into the holiday on the soft foods phase. The good news is my sleeve is so new and the restriction is so great I am only going to be able to eat my dense protein and then maybe a bite of something else.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

poplargreys
on 11/26/14 3:18 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I started my supervised diet at the end of October, and I am totally at peace with myself and the lifestyle changes I have made during these last few months. I will enjoy dinner with family tomorrow, but do not feel any desire to overindulge with food or drink, and that's a big deal for me because I'm totally the type of person that used to seek out that full-to-bursting feeling. So much of this is a head game, and I don't want to think about 'cheating' in any way because it's not going to do get me any closer to my goals. I'd rather be healthy and happy with who I am than have one evening of excess. Not worth it to me!

Most Active