I think I hate my sleeve

parkmanmom
on 11/26/14 5:29 am - OH

I had surgery almost 5 weeks ago and after weeks of trying to stay positive and giving it time I think I'm ready to give up. I have been so nauseated since my surgery that I can't take it anymore. I saw my surgeon Monday and she recommended more anti-nausea meds and 2 liters of IV fluids which  I got yesterday. For the life of me I do not understand how I can possible get in 60+ g of protein and 64 oz of fluids. I can barely even eat or drink anything and I have no appetite. I cannot even stomach much of my many meds I have to take in a day: multi-vitamins, calcium, depression meds, reflux meds,  thyroid pills, anti-nausea pills, etc. I haven't even taken most of my meds because I just can't tolerate them, including my multi-vitamins. (This may account for my mood as well.) Crushing the pills only led to vomiting a few minutes later.  I can only tolerate small amounts of protein and crackers. I feel like I already messed up my surgery by not being on all my vitamins and not getting in all my fluids and proteins and by eating crackers and sugar in my decaf tea, since that helps settle it. I'm so scared of losing my hair now as well because I haven't kept up with them. I'm really trying to get in all the meds and hoped having the fluids would make a big difference, but I'm still struggling. I got permission to start soft foods and am eating cheese, chili, cottage cheese and protein drinks (to try to get the protein in). I realize I'm one of the unfortunate ones to have the nausea so prominent after surgery, but I'm really starting to wonder if I did the right thing. Sorry to be so negative, this is so much harder than I thought. I'm on 2 Prilosec a day, Zofran every 6 hrs, Reglin before every meal and bedtime. Not sure how I'll ever get back on track if it keeps up. Thanks for listening to my rant, I'm at a loss as to what to do.

cappy11448
on 11/26/14 5:43 am

I'm so sorry you are having so much trouble with adjusting to your new tummy.  I remember that at around 6 weeks, I found that my tummy just didn't want anything.  The thought of eating made me queasy - though I could hold the foods down.  I just didn't want to eat.  It passed in time. 

I couldn't stomach sweet drinks, so I survived on chicken soup with unflavored protein powder for months.  I remember that for the first 7 weeks, I could only fit about an ounce in my stomach at one meal.  So I relied on the protein powder to make my numbers.

I did see a big shift in the 7th week.  Hopefully, it will get better for you soon, too.  Hang in there and do your best to get the protein and liquids in. 

If its any consolation, I always made my protein number and still lost a lot of hair!  I don't think the hair loss is related to protein intake.  Its more about the trauma of surgery.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/26/14 7:15 am

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. Dehydration really increases nausea, so getting all your fluids will really help.

There's a long timer here who has a pretty good method for getting in water: fill up a shot glass and give yourself ten minutes to sip it. When it's empty, repeat. A shot glass is much less daunting than a huge glass, and you can measure your progress.

If you are allowed them, try some hot decaf herbal tea. Mint in particular will help settle your stomach, and the warmth is soothing, too.

Here's the tough love part: NO more sugar and crackers. Cut it out. That crap will derail you. You are supposed to be able to only get in a little bit of protein right now. Crackers are nutritionally void. You do not want to fall into the trap of relying on simple, smushy carbs and then months from now be unable to tolerate anything else and either have no loss or regain.

For nausea, the patch that goes behind your ear might work for you. Some people don't get much relief from Zofran and its ilk, but I suspect most of your issue is dehydration.

You will lose some hair. It's a side effect of anesthesia.

This is a process. Another really smart post op here suggests working up to 30 grams of protein in 30 days, 60 grams in 60 days, and so forth. Also, space out your pills and vitamins. Less upset stomach that way.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

irishblue422
on 11/26/14 7:36 am - Tulsa

Very smart advice, Rosy Kate.

From a medical stand point, dehydration could definitely be a cause of most of these symptoms. You really need to get in water and protein. with the electrolytes in drinks like, vitamin water and Gatorade you could try those (sugar free, of course). you could even get the unflavored protein and add it to those a little bit at a time. I have seen many people comment that after surgery try liquids at different temps. some people do better with cold, some with luke warm.

good luck

HW: 336, CW: 266                    VSG on 1/23/2015

GW: 150

knolmom
on 11/26/14 9:37 am

I did not comment in the thread but thanks for such a great reply. I have my surgery next Wed and any info I can take in I appreciate.

MaggieDoodle
on 11/26/14 7:31 am
VSG on 09/08/14

I know exactly where you are coming from. I suffered from constant nausea. I had absolutely no interest in food. The feeling of regret was like a crushing weight on me. It was seriously terrible.

I was told to focus on fluids. Drink, drink, drink. And don't worry about the protein right now. I followed this advice and, at week eight, it was like a switch was flipped. My nausea tapered off then stopped and food started to be appealing again. Even now, at week 11, if I don't get enough fluids, the nausea creeps back. As long as I stay hydrated, I feel fine. I'm getting 50 grams of protein a day and working my way up.

Hang in there. It does get much better.

maggie

phred
on 11/26/14 7:33 am - CO

When you're up to your ass in alligators, it's difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp!

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

Mary Gee
on 11/26/14 8:45 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I can't add anything more than what's already been said.

Just want to say it will get better - and hopefully you'll be feeling better soon.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Gwen M.
on 11/26/14 8:55 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time.  Are you feeling any better after the IV fluids?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Bella_Fein
on 11/26/14 9:39 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

My friend was sick and hating life for the first 2-3 months. After that she started getting better. She ended up having to get her gallbladder out and things were fabulous after that. I'm so sorry you are going through this, but there is no turning back now. I hope things get better for you soon and a year down the road you are so thankful you did it.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views