10 days out

November18
on 11/27/14 10:06 pm
VSG on 11/18/14

Is drinking an 11 oz. Premier Protein shake too much at one sitting when I'm only 10 days out? I'm hungry all the time. Went for my 1 week check and told the NP that I was starving and asked her to increase my PPI. She said no and said all I needed was to eat. She added the full liquids of oatmeal, SF pudding, and Greek Yogurt. 2 oz. 6x a day. That has not helped! I do 2 protein shakes a day and usually sip them within 30 minutes. I'm wondering if this is too much volume this early? I'm trying not to get depressed but time is just dragging. I think I underestimated just how hard this is going to be!

Bonnie

Gwen M.
on 11/27/14 10:12 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

At 10 days out, I was only on liquids.  I'd drink 16 ounces (which is two of my shakes) in the morning - which took me about an hour.  No problems with that.  Can you talk to the surgeon about the PPI instead of the NP?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Donna K.
on 11/28/14 12:05 am - Schwenksville, PA

Hi Bonnie,

Please be very careful with your intake.  Sometimes, the "hunger" you think you feel is in your head.  You, psychologically, are used to eating perhaps large volumes (much larger than you could possibly take now) and the mind thinks you still need that.  Rest assured, you don't.  You have not even healed yet and you're taking in 11 oz. at one time?  That could be a death sentence for you.  You should be taking in only 3 oz. at one time regardless of what it is, (liquids, food).  In fact, if I remember correctly I didn't take in any regular food for a couple of weeks post op.  I remember the first thing I ate post op and it was one corn flake.  I was afraid to eat that!!

You're playing with your life.  Do everything that your doctors tell you TO THE LETTER!  And, please reduce your intake.  Even after you're healed properly 11 oz. at one time is just too much. 

I wish you well and the best of luck.  Anything worthwhile isn't easy!!  You can do it!!

Love and Light,

hippy

November18
on 11/28/14 1:18 am
VSG on 11/18/14

What is the time period between those 3 oz. ? Two hour? I'd never be able to get in the liquids they are saying I have to. I'm confused. Suppose to bet in 64 oz a day. Plus the full liquids every two hours.

Bonnie

Loaf
on 11/28/14 12:11 am - Canada
VSG on 10/31/14

at 10 days i was still on soups, even as i have progressed.  (4 weeks today) i found that i though i was hungry.  I think i was.... Regardless, follow your diet progression, becasue now at 4 weeks out, my stomach is stating to heal, and i am finally realizing what full is.   and be careful it happens very fast and hurts like a mo-fo.

I had no issues what so ever when it came to tolerating food as i have progressed. so . it is time to be very weary of what you are putting in your body.  Eat slowly and follow your plan. 

November18
on 11/28/14 1:21 am
VSG on 11/18/14

I think I am following my plan. I was just questioning how long it should take to sip 11 oz. I was told to do 2 protein shakes a day. A minimum of 64 oz liquid and eat every two to 3 hours.

Bonnie

Daelcare
on 11/28/14 1:31 am - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

Bonnie,

I'm about 2 weeks ahead of you, but I have been drinking that 11 ounces since before I left the hospital!  Slowly...but I have been able to get 2 a day (when I was full liquid).  I drink a 32 ounce bottle of water in the morning and one over the afternoon to evening to get all my liquids in.  You can do this!!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

November18
on 11/28/14 2:06 am
VSG on 11/18/14

Thanks, I need guidance. After going thru this I certainly don't want to do anything to mess it up.  So far it's been a lot harder than I thought. I told my family to go to my daughter's in Boston for Thanksgiving without me because I didn't think I could handle the not eating and drinking thing. Maybe feeling a little down. Want to be back to normal. I need a big shot of PATIENCE. Time is dragging.

Bonnie

Daelcare
on 11/28/14 2:23 am - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

I have found that a little planning goes a long way! I went to the family Thanksgiving dinner yesterday armed with my yogurt and liquid protein!  I went through the line just like everyone else and got some turkey, some potatoes and green beans (I knew that was probably more than I could handle!). Everyone just looked...but no comments!!  I ate most of the turkey...less than 2 ounces when my sleeve said "that's it!"  You do not have to avoid situations...just plan for them!  After dinner, while everyone else was having dessert, I had my key lime yogurt...my own dessert!  I did have a bite of my son's cheesecake...my yogurt was way better!!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

Kerry1969
on 11/28/14 3:20 am
VSG on 11/17/14

Hi Bonnie. I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. I'm one day ahead of you. At this point I am still trying to get the protein in, but this is what I am doing....I take my PPI in the morning with applesauce and wait 1/2 hour. Then I drink 16 oz of water with MiraLAX (about 45 min).  Then I work on a premier protein which has been taking awhile because I hate it! Then I have 3oz Greek yogurt, wait 1/2 hr and start drinking fluids again. It usually takes about 45 min to drink 16 oz mostly because I'm doing other things and I forget. My doctor told me not to worry about how long it takes to drink...as long as I am comfortable it's ok. Soup, yogurt, etc are different...they said limit to 2-3 oz.

Have you tried Greek Yogurt? I found that very filling. Also, I tried an organic butternut squash soup which was very filling and tasted delicious (1/3 cup did the trick). Syntrax Nectar has some protein powders that can be mixed with skim milk that might be filling. I haven't tried them yet. 

Hang in there. I know it's hard, but it will get better :)

VSG with Dr. Barkan on November 17, 2014. HW 220, SW 210, CW 175

Most Active