Support systems in place for December?

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/14 9:42 am

I want to encourage you all to have some extra support systems in place during the holiday season. I wasn't really thinking about this until this afternoon.

One of my coworkers with whom I share my food issues - joys, struggles, addictions, triumphs, etc... came to tell me today that our resident cookie baker has planned her holiday baking for December 13 and 14. She will be bringing in trays (yes, multiple trays) of my favorite cookies on December 15. Often when Stacy, the baker, has her baking days I find a half dozen cookies sitting on my desk because she knows my love of them.

My coworker wanted to let me know of this upcoming cookie bonanza so I had ample time to prepare for the event rather than it be a surprise for which I had no strategy in place. My coworker knows me very well in this regard and I appreciate her dedication to my issue when it comes to cookies, pastries and other sweets.

Now we all have our weaknesses. Stacy's cookies are a definite Achilles Heel for me! Her cookies make the old time Mrs. Field cookies pale in comparison. Anyway, it made me realize that over the last 3 years I have put in a support system at work.

I actively let trusted people know what my goals are. I have shared with a few people my struggles with certain foods and asked them just to know my goals. I've asked them not to reminded me of my goals or ask me whether I'm making a good food choice or not. I've asked only that they be aware. That alone helps me be accountable to myself. They offer me a quiet, but active support.

December is a very difficult time for me food wise, and may be for you, too. At school we have tables of "free food" laid out for the teachers with the very best intentions. "Free food" has always been a weakness for me (think, buffets, pot lucks, finger foods, etc...) and when it's a table filled with free baked goods I feel like a kid in a candy shop and basically want to eat a bit of it all!

Some of you will power through the holidays with strong resolve. I've done that, too. But I find it easier now to put a support system in place. You may find it easier to find one or two wonderful people on whom to lean  this holiday season to support you through. I know it's working for me.

iloveravens
on 12/3/14 10:26 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Such sage advice.  THANK YOU. 

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Gwen M.
on 12/3/14 10:32 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Having a support system is so beneficial for so many reasons - I'm super grateful for mine.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

weeziebeth
on 12/3/14 10:37 am

Excellent post and wise strategy. Thank you!

HW 285 SW 248 CW 218  Surgery date: 12/2/14                 "Life itself is the proper binge." Julia Child      

"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''  Winston Churchill

TeressaJ
on 12/3/14 10:44 am

I'm a middle school teacher and my students like to bring me cherry chocolates, cookies, and all sorts of other sweets which I used to eat right then and there! Now I open them and share with everyone so I'm left with only one, which I usually give to another teacher or trash when no students are around. They really don't notice I'm not eating when their own mouths are full!

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/14 10:50 am

Great strategy there, too! I have found for me that being honest about my love of baked goods and inability to behave rationally once I begin eating them has been helpful with the adults at school. With my students. I don't even bother going there. I always smile and accept their food gifts and when I can, just like you, I share the treat with the kids. Other times I make clear that I am saving till later to share with the other teachers. My little third graders love that I share their treats with the other teachers.

Lee ~
on 12/3/14 2:02 pm - CA

Great advice, as always!

December is tough with parties.  My office is a no holiday food zone. My office partners join me in keeping it out.  My house is clean.  My challenge will be 10 days back east at the end of the month.  I'm already strategizing. My WW leader told me to text him while I'm gone. He's a sweetie. 

Devon, you can do this!  Those cookies taste the same as last year. It's not worth the five minute party in your mouth. (Said to remind myself)!  oy vey!!!!

xoxo

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/14 1:00 am

My gosh, Lee! How the heck are  you?

I'd love for my school to be a no holiday food zone, but the chance of that is like the chance of a blizzard in Hell! Seriously. Not sure if you know about teachers and the teacher's lounge, but it's an insane asylum of treats and goodies for the next two weeks. Then in January everyone will dump off the left over crap they don't want anymore in the house for all of us to gorge on. It's truly disgusting when you think about it. We have a joke among teachers that we would be the easiest group of people to poison en masse. Just put it in the teacher's lounge and it will be consumed!

I also like to remember that the 5 minute party is not my reality. The five minute party usually turns into either a battle that lasts until I go to bed or a day of periodic sugar ingestion until bed. It's really just not worth it for me anymore. Could it be I hit my bottom? 

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/14 11:38 pm

As always, excellent advice.  I think I need to follow it, and find a support system for the holidays.  The truth is that my new schedule takes up almost every second of my day, but that's not an excuse, I need to plan better, and have the support system of people who understand what I am going through.  It's tough, this far out, no one really remembers where I came from and just assumes I am normal.

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/14 12:56 am

First, wonderful to "see" you. I've actually been thinking about you lately.

I understand exactly what you mean about being so terribly busy. I find that I have had some issues making myself a priority when I have so many other obligations that seem to want to come first.
After a long period of on and off eating I actively sought out medical support. Like you, most people in my life see me as a normal weighted person and forget that I am still a person who has the disease of obesity. I needed more support than I realized, too - especially in the long term eating and managing leptin and insulin levels and dealing with my personal emotional aspect of eating.

I'm back on track and feeling very good about it. It was a little hard to admit how much support I really need to be successful right now, but I have found a program run by Stanford MDs that might as well be run by Dr. C and Gabriella. It's close to home and I meet weekly with a PA or RD/RN and weigh in, go over my food, etc... FYI - they jacked my protein levels up to 150 grams per day and want carbs between 30 & 50 (under 40 preferable). Sound familiar?

I am always here to support you the way you have supported me these past years. You just let me know! Maybe you can come to Dr. C's support group on the 17th? Would love to see you sometime - it's been ages!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views