Things I've Learned This Week

StephK10
on 12/6/14 8:34 am, edited 12/6/14 8:40 am

Week 3 post-op has been quite a learning week.  I went back to work, settled into (some) routines and figured out some important things.

1) I still have trouble with assessing my fullness.  I eat too fast sometimes out of habit and then feel very full.

2). The foamies.  I'd not heard of these until late this week. And then I just experienced them. Not fun.  Hopefully that will help me learn to SLOW DOWN.  

3) I need a weekend routine.  During the week, I have a fairly set eating schedule (for now). Shake on the way to work. Hardboiled egg mid-morning. Small lunch. Babybel while I walk the dog after work. Small dinner. And liquids in-between.  The weekend is an entirely different story. I run errands, try to drink a shake, don't know when I'll eat lunch, get stuck out and about and realize I'm thirsty as all hell.  I know I'll figure out my plan of attack, but I haven't yet.

4) I have more energy than I've had in YEARS. My surgeon even joked about lowering the dose of my depression medication. :). I just want to DO things.  I want to spend time with friends. I want to be active in my work. I want to exercise.  I have a new lease on life.  My 40th birthday is this June.  I have a feeling I'm going to be sobbing like a baby out of sheer joy at this huge change in my life on that monumental day. 

Height: 5'7" HighW: 266 SSW: 253 Surgery date: 11/17/14 CW 165.4

(FIRST GOAL OF 170 REACHED 6/30/15)  NEW GOAL: 159 (BMI of "normal")

M1: 24 M2: 15 M3: 11  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8 M7: 5 M8: 3 M9: 3

Amy M.
on 12/6/14 1:33 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Congrats on your progress so far!  Week 3, towards the end of it, was a good week for me because I was finally able to start eating soft foods instead of just liquids and pureed food.  I am also a fast eater and I have experienced the foamies so here are a few strategies I've learned.  You could try putting down your fork between bites and counting to 30 before taking another one.  Cut your food before you start eating into tiny bites so you don't eat large mouthfuls.  You could also try using a timer.  I have also started to read while I eat so that I'm distracting myself from my food and therefore it slows me down.

I also have trouble on the weekends.  I've started to pack a backpack for when I go out and about.  I usually pack extra water bottles and a little lunch bag of food so that I have something on the go.  It's usually small snacks like string cheese, babybell, tuna salad pouch, yogurt, etc.  That way you won't skip meals and you won't go thirsty.

Enjoy the ride.  If you're happy with the amount of energy you have now just wait until you are a few more months out.  It only gets better!

StephK10
on 12/6/14 9:02 pm

Amy, THANK YOU!  Those are great tips.  I'm a huge reader, so having a book at the table won't be a problem. :). And I have thought that I need to buy a flat of small waters just to keep in my car.  That would be perfect! 

Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate it.  And you've done a fantastic job! Way to go on your weight loss!

PrayMore
on 12/7/14 9:04 am

Love the positive post StephK10! Congrats! This is so exciting to me! I am also glad to hear the tips about slowing down - I am finding I sip too fast or spoon my protein shake too fast, too. So happy for you and best wishes as you continue to learn all of the things you need!  

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

StephK10
on 12/8/14 1:59 am

Thanks for your kind words!  I don't drink my protein shakes too fast because I find them a bit nasty. :)  Bu****er, I have a habit of guzzling!  

Good luck in your journey as well!  Keep us posted!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views