Feeling like I need a break from Low Carb...

mevoila86
on 12/8/14 12:36 am

So I'm 2 months out and this past weekend threw me for a loop. It started with sashimi on Friday and everything that I ate since then feels like dumping syndrome. Eventually I gave up and ate some soda crackers because the thought of any more protein seemed like a bad idea. That didn't give me any problems. I was able to eat peanut butter - no problems. This morning, I had a protein shake and I'm back in the bathroom.

Does anyone (who has a doc *****commends low carb) ever take a break from the plan? I'm flipping hungry and all I want right now are crackers again. It could be that I had bad fish on Friday, but treating my tummy with more fish and chicken doesn't seem to be helping any. 

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy: October 9, 2014 with Dr. Val Prokurat at Centra State Medical Center in Freehold, NJ.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/8/14 12:47 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I didn't do supreme low carb during weight loss so I never had to take a break from anything. But if I did and if I were in need of a break, maybe crackers would not be my go to food during the break. Perhaps try some beans, legumes, sweet potato, fiber rich (a bit carby) veggies? If you must go for the cracker type stuff then I would go for the Sweedish WASA type rye or whole grain crisp bread. Be very careful with this stuff - I think it is no accident that the root word in 'cracker' is something else.. take off the 'er'. It can trigger you into a carb fest that would compromise the hard work that you are doing. Be careful.

Hope you feel better!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Grim_Traveller
on 12/8/14 1:08 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm not sure what you were experiencing, but it was absolutely not dumping syndrome. A protein only diet would ensure you would never dump. Some people would dump on crackers only. 

You don't say what else made you ill, but the protein shake could have been lactose intolerance. Or it could have been food poisoning from bad fish.

If you gave us some more detailed information we might be able to offer more help.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Tracy D.
on 12/8/14 1:29 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You might just have the stomach flu.  Needing a "break" from low carb at two months out -- wasn't an option for me.  If you mean "break" as in eating bread, crackers, etc. then you need to get that thought out of your head right now.  At two months out I was lucky to be getting all my protein in and could barely eat 2 oz. of protein at a time.  

Protein is the priority right now.  If you want more carbs then make sure you are getting them from veggies and not things like crackers (ZERO nutritional value), potatoes, etc.  You have a very, very tiny stomach and need the most nutritious food available to fill it.  Crackers aren't going to cut it.  

And it sounds like you woke up the carb monster by eating those crackers and probably the peanut butter too because it has sugar in it.  So yes, you are going to feel hungry all the time until you get back to protein first and low carb veggies second.  And it'll probably take a good 3-4 days to get back on track.  

If you have the flu I hope it passes quickly!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Gwen M.
on 12/8/14 1:32 am
VSG on 03/13/14

That sounds more like a potential stomach bug than anything else.  Drink lots and replenish your system with something like gatorade.  Eat stuff that's easy on your tummy for a few days - maybe eggs and oatmeal?  And then slowly ease yourself back into the dense proteins.  

That's what I'd do, at least.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

emelar
on 12/8/14 1:36 am - TX

You may have had simple food poisoning.  I love sashimi, but you have to careful with it.  Trust me, you didn't dump.  You don't dump on protein and, if you ever do dump, you'll be praying for death.

If your tummy is upset by the thought of fish/chicken, go for softer proteins - cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, beans. 

QoftheU
on 12/8/14 7:28 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

LOL - I posted below before I read your response - death indeed!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/8/14 1:50 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

By take a break do you mean a whole bunch of refined carbs?, or do you need just some carbs back into your meals again? You might have just eaten the wrong things like some bad fish or you went overboard on carbs & it's making you hungry & that vicious cycle of eating carbs leads you to eating more carbs has started back up again. If it's an upset tummy you might have to eat something simple, like soup, till it passes.

I find as I move along that going extremely low carb will not work for me & it feels like low carb is like a fad diet but that doesn't mean I'll eat refined carbs either, that just leads me into a loop that's hard to get out of. Right now I put protein first & some carbs are included, usually it's with protein(veggies) or a treat like a bit of popcorn or low carb biscotti, after all I'm learning to eat in such a way that I can live with & low,low carb just won't do it.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Mary Gee
on 12/8/14 2:06 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Be very careful............You're only two months out and you shouldn't "need a break" from low carb.  Crackers and peanut butter should not be "go to" foods.  You're in dangerous territory.  If beef/chicken, etc. aren't sitting well right now, then try cottage cheese, greek yogurt, eggs, cheese, chili, etc.

Could be bad fish or a flu.  Hope you feel better soon. 

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

TexasTerritory
on 12/8/14 4:35 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I avoid carbs 95% of the time.

Needing to take a break sounds dangerous to me. I don't take breaks because it is very hard for me to resume the good lifestyle.

I love my protein. Hope you are able to figure out solutions. Two months is really early out in the process.

Most Active