Fluttering Heart!

TeressaJ
on 12/8/14 9:00 am

Had a visit with my NUT today and am finally in the normal weight range for people my height!! I'm 5 months post op and I have been experiencing little heart flutters lately, though, whenever I eat meat. I eat very little food daily. I can't get much in and my surgeon told me not to eat if I don't feel hungry. Well, I don't ever feel hungry but I know I have to have some nutrition every day to be healthy. She thinks it may be I'm eating too much at once. I can't eat more than 4 oz per meal and I eat twice per day, so I don't know how this would be my problem. I have an appointment to see my primary in January and will be taking it up with her. Has anyone else experienced this?

Gwen M.
on 12/8/14 9:27 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Congrats on being "normal!"  

I haven't experienced that, but definitely something worth talking with your doc about - sooner rather than later!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Jules78
on 12/8/14 12:52 pm - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

I experienced it and it was due to low potassium and electrolytes. Try eating some bananas or drinking some orange juice and see if that helps. For me, all it took was one 10oz bottle of OJ and I haven't had palpitations since. 

youtube channel- silkiilocks

GooseGirl
on 12/8/14 1:07 pm
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I would definitely bring it up with the doctor. I have heart flutters but it's due to MVP. I will say that I have experienced heart flutters for other reasons mainly dehydration, low blood pressure or really low calories. There have also been a couple times when it happened and something was out of whack with my labs. I can't remember right now what specifically though the poster that said low potassium does ring a bell. 

I also have esophageal spasms that apparently a lot of folks mistake for heart flutters. They definitely don't feel like spasm to me. Perhaps that is what your nutritionist is thinking it could actually be? Is it possible that you are eating too fast? If your NUT think you may be eating too  much it would be pretty easy to test it out. Instead of your 4 oz, try 2 and see if it still happens.

Also, if your PCP does an EKG in their office a lot of times that won't catch a lot of problems. I would ask to be referred to a cardiologist to be safe.  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views