Hello!

Heather S.
on 12/4/14 9:25 pm
VSG on 06/04/15

Hi, This is my first time posting to this forum. I'm currently waiting for insurance approval for a VSG, and I'm super excited and also nervous. I've been looking into weight loss surgery since I was 18 (35 now), and always thought I would have the RNY when I finally was able to afford it/get insurance to pay for it. My doctor recommends the VSG "because I'm still young" whatever THAT means. I haven't looked it up a whole bunch, but from what I gather, it's because I can always have it converted to a traditional RNY, or anything else really, if I need to in the future. I dont want to have future weight loss surgeries, however, and I have quite a bit of weight to lose. My ultimate goal is to get down to 150 lbs...so that's 305 lbs I have to lose as of now. Can I hear from some of you that have had a VSG? Are you doing well with it? loosing weight like you thought you would? From the little bit i've looked into it (pretty much the notebook my surgeon's given me with info on the 3 different types of weight loss surgeries he does) it seems like you wont lose as much with the VSG compared to the RNY because the VSG doesn't have the malabsorption component to it. Any thought? Thanks! :-) 

HW: 460 (12/18/14) SW: 419 (6/4/15) CW: 330 (10/19/15) Mini goal: 319 by 10/4/15

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 12/4/14 9:29 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Studies show that RNY loses more at the start but eventually they are equal in terms of weight loss. There is a guy *****ally doesn't post much anymore named Jimbo who lost 350 pounds. Have you talked to him about the DS? It has the sleeve stomach but with the malabsoprtion of the RNY for life. It does require a lot of aftercare though because you need to keep good track of your bloodwork and what supplements you are taking. Here is a great website you can do research on. http://asmbs.org/

grayC
on 12/5/14 1:15 am
VSG on 05/01/13

Also search Nikke2003

shes a great inspiration 

has lost over 250 lbs and just got her plastics

shes looking FABULOUS!! 

Gwen M.
on 12/5/14 1:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome!  

There are many people on these forums who have lost a significant amount of weight, so it's not impossible with the sleeve.  My goal is to lose 200 total and I'm 120 pounds down so far.  

I'm really happy.  I work hard with lifestyle change - the sleeve isn't a miracle that makes us lose weight, but it helps make everything possible and easier.  :)  I still have to be aware of what I eat, I exercise a lot, and I see a therapist every week.  All of this helps.  

You might want to look into the DS if you want malabsorption.  I, personally, didn't want it, so the sleeve was for me.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Brina78
on 12/5/14 7:30 am - San Diego, CA

Hi Heather..

Welcome to the forum! 

So i had surgery 07/08/14...at my highest i was 299...day of surgery i was 283 and I am currently at 239. I feel amazing! I didn't have no crazy side effects after surgery..(no gas pain or issues with my incisions) of course just the normal major surgery pains and effects of anesthesia :)  I chose VSG because as it sounds crazy i didn't want to become super skinny AND i didn't want my insides rearranged lol BUT of course that is my personal reasons. We all lose differently so i guess it all depends on your body...I don't have a specific weight goal..i just wanted to be healthy...my surgeon's goal is to get me under 200 pounds..then we would see what other goal would be appropriate..I had high blood pressure...pre diabetic taking meds..i have/had PCOS..not sure yet since i won't be able to try and have a baby until next year (never been pregnant)

I don't feel hungry and well i don't eat much...it's a huge change and by no means "the easy way out" You have to make sure you take your vitamins and protein..lots and lots of fluids..and of course EXERCISE :)

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions i might be able to help you with...

Good luck on your weight loss journey!!

Sabrina

Heather S.
on 12/5/14 9:20 am
VSG on 06/04/15

Thank you for your replies! Its nice to see success stories, it helps. After your surgeries did you find a lot of your hunger/appetite went away? I have a problem with overeating because I never seem to feel full, no matter how slow I eat. I'm hoping that after the surgery that wont be such an issue. Also, how did you handle the urge to 'emotional eat' after surgery (for those who were emotional eaters before)? Did you find you had more energy after the surgery once you were loosing weight? 

Thanks for letting me pick your brains! :-)

HW: 460 (12/18/14) SW: 419 (6/4/15) CW: 330 (10/19/15) Mini goal: 319 by 10/4/15

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 12/8/14 3:54 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Two years later I still do not feel hunger. Now cravings are a different story. Yes I had way more engergy. I walk so much faster now.

Heather S.
on 12/8/14 10:42 am
VSG on 06/04/15

Thats awesome. :-) I can't wait! How do you deal with cravings? 

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 12/8/14 9:11 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

I am not going to lie that lately I have not been the best with them. It is really a mind game. Many people go to a therapist and find ways to cope with it. I taught coping skills for five years for mental illness so I use a lot of those techniques.

Most Active