Regained 35lbs after 3 years- Back to basics

sadsailor
on 12/5/14 9:41 pm - san diego, CA
DS on 07/31/15

So I had my surgery 3 years ago and when I stepped on the scale this morning, I realized I have regained 35 out of the 60lbs  lost. I know what my issues are. Eating junk food and being a chef does not help it. I am not blaming my weight gain on anyone or anything but myself. Even though i have gained all this weight, I still have been able to run a lot of half marathons and I also cross fit. I am an active person however my eating habits sucks. I want to start from the basics and get back to 180lbs. Where do I begin. Any tips will be helpful

Gwen M.
on 12/6/14 1:35 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'd start by tracking every single thing that you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal - that will show you what you're actually consuming and what needs to be modified.  

Here are my basics - yours might be a little different.  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Be kind to myself

And, remember, if Chef Graham Elliott can do it, so can you :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Spencerella
on 12/6/14 5:19 am, edited 12/6/14 5:59 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Hopefully some of the people who have actually faced and conquered regain will chime in. I haven't, but speaking from the perspective of someone further out, one of the most important things I do to keep me on the straight and narrow is to weigh myself every day. No matter how much I dread it, I do it without fail. The daily reality check is more important than ever the further out I get from weight loss mode. 

Also, a general trend I've noticed - people who lost all their excess weight appear more successful at dealing with regain. If that's actually 'true' I would guess it's because they can return to the habits and routines they once practiced on a daily basis. So for you, I'll bet you already know what works. Also, I would suggest you regularly check in with the VSG maintenance group.  We are all vigilant about regain, so we often share how we lose weight when needed and support each other in the process. 

There is also a group here for people dealing with regain.  I think it's called Back on Track.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Most Active