Buyer's Remorse - Is it Pain Related??

ANGELINA6501
on 12/6/14 3:20 am
VSG on 12/16/14

I have read that it is normal to have buyer's remorse after surgery. Why is that? Is it because of the pain? Is is because of complications?

I am expecting to have these feelings after surgery, since it seems very common. I am expecting to have some pain, but I am not sure how to gauge the amount of pain I'll feel. I have had my gallbladder out, but I don't remember having more than about a '6' on the pain scale. Is it comparable? My surgeon will be giving me Dilaudid, so I hope that will work well. I am used to having continuous stomach pain, so a little soreness will be tolerable. I do consider myself hypersensitive - meaning that just the thought of the IV pain makes me nauseous and panicky. I often have to have my hand numbed just to get through it.  Any extreme pain usually causes a panic attack. Would an anti-anxiety help with the pain level? I will probably ask for one. I know everyone is different but I'd like to have an idea of what pain level to expect.

~Angela

VSG 12/16/2014   HW: 309 / SW: 280 / CW: 226

pharmagirl_45
on 12/6/14 3:28 am, edited 12/6/14 3:28 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

I had buyer's remorse the first week after surgery.   It wasn't really because of the pain, it was more not being able to drink the liquids and the stomach acid I was experiencing.   The pain was manageable after a couple of days.  By my 3rd week, I was fine.

Good luck and try not to worry. 

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

Gwen M.
on 12/6/14 3:51 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think it's mainly because of pain and discomfort.  There's that sudden "omg, what did I do I'll never be able to eat like normal again."  Lots of mental stuff on top of the physical stuff.  Then people get concerned because they don't have restriction when they drink liquids, so they think surgery failed.  Or they get concerned because they DO have restriction with liquids.. 

I think if you're the type to experience buyer's remorse, it doesn't really matter what happens - you'll experience it.  

I've had kidney stones, which are a 10 on the pain scale, and my surgery recovery was a piece of cake.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ANGELINA6501
on 12/6/14 3:52 am
VSG on 12/16/14

Thanks! I'm trying not to worry too much and focusing on why I need this, but sometimes I can't help it! :)

~Angela

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/14 3:55 am

So here's the deal: be prepared for pain, but don't expect it. There are many, many of us who had great pain management and had very little discomfort. I had had my gallbladder out about 2 years prior to VSG. VSG was in comparison like going to the dentist for a cleaning. The gallbladder laid me up for a week. VSG I was up and out of bed that day walking the ward. Went home the next day and other than being a little tired, a little sore, and having post op gas, I was pretty good to go. I didn't have trouble getting liquids in and not once was I nauseous.

My doc gave me an anti anxiety prior to surgery. He thinks it's a good idea for everyone. Just as ask your doc. It's fairly routine pre surgery.

Again, pain levels vary widely. My advice, expect the best, but be prepared for the worst.

ANGELINA6501
on 12/6/14 9:44 am
VSG on 12/16/14

I will probably ask for an anxiety med. I'm sure they will have no problems with that. I am happy to see that there are some people who have had a fairly pain free recovery. I hope that I am one of those!

Thank you for replying!

~Angela

Tealeyes
on 12/6/14 3:57 am
VSG on 11/12/14

It has been my experiance in most things...it is a lot easier actually going through it then thinking about it.  In your head you are alone and imagining the worst  When it actually happens you have to remember there are going to be people around you ...wanting to make you comfortable. you are not alone in this. 

I had my surgery three weeks ago. MAYBE the first two days were rough...the dilaudid certainly did help...and once I was home ...I knew I was on my way to recovery !!  

What i did ...was think how Disappointed I would  have been if I had been refused or if I couldn't have the surgery.  It put all things into perspective. 

Think Positive...you will be FINE!!!

ANGELINA6501
on 12/6/14 9:41 am
VSG on 12/16/14

Yes! I can work myself up if I think about things too much. I over analyze things for sure! I agree, I would be pretty upset if I couldn't have the surgery. I keep telling myself this too shall pass. One day at a time!

Thanks for responding!

~Angela

Beth Of Fletchair
on 12/6/14 4:54 am
with

I never had a second of buyer's remorse and I experienced no pain from the moment I woke up in the hospital.  I never needed the pain meds they offered in my drip, I didn't even need a Tylenol.  The only pain I ever experienced was gas pain and, since I started to walk hours after I came to, that was short lived.  I still have a full bottle of Oxycodone that my doctor prescribed and I never opened.
Most people I meet in person who have had VSG had the same experience as I did.  On line there seems to be more people with complications.  Why are you so sure you will have so much pain?

ANGELINA6501
on 12/6/14 9:38 am
VSG on 12/16/14

Thank you for your reply! Of course I don't know for sure if I will have pain, I am just expecting it. I always have pain with getting an IV because they have a hard time getting a good vein and I am often stuck 3 or more times. Maybe this is what I am worried about the most.

I'm glad to hear that you had a smooth recovery! I hope mine goes just as smoothly!

~Angela

Most Active