Trip to ER last night

Luvmygs
on 12/7/14 11:50 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

Just before surgery I realized I might be allergic to Whey protein. I'm now post-op, 5 days out. I had to go to the ER because my mouth started to tingle and my arms started to itch. I had just finished 1 container of Premier Protein when my mouth started to feel funny again. I'm beginning to think I allergic to Whey Protein. Any ideas on other proteins. Thank you. Other than this, I feel like I haven't had surgery, feeling fantastic!

myangelbear77
on 12/8/14 1:23 am - Homestead, FL

Whey proteins are usually from milk do you have a known Milk allergy? There are some from Jay Rob? that are egg protein you may want to check out.

Luvmygs
on 12/8/14 1:39 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Thank you myangelbear, I'll go check out my local health store today. This is crazy. ER even gave me an Epipen!

Gwen M.
on 12/8/14 1:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Eek!  

My bff is vegan and she likes the Vega brand of protein powders.  I think there's also Jay Robb which is egg protein?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Luvmygs
on 12/8/14 1:40 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I know, it kinda freaked me out. ER gave me an epipen. Scary. Thanks Gwen, think I'll go check out other proteins today at my health food store. Thanks for the info. Christine

kerry B.
on 12/8/14 2:14 am
VSG on 11/04/13

I had the exact same reaction with Premier Protein shakes.  I stopped drinking them and tried others. The protein shakes and bars I use now (Pure Protein shakes and Quest bars) both have whey protein and I do not have any reaction at all.

5'9", 52 years old, 10 years postop VSG, HW 316 CW 195. Updated 11-12-23

Luvmygs
on 12/8/14 2:38 am
VSG on 12/04/14

So how did you get your protein daily? Which ones did you finally use that didn't have the same effect. Isn't Pure Protein Shakes the same as Premier Protein shakes? I'm surprised you don't have the same reaction to Quest bars. But, thats a good thing, because I really like those bars. Have tons of fiber! Thank you so much for your post. Christine

kerry B.
on 12/8/14 3:47 am
VSG on 11/04/13

Premier and Pure are two different brands of shakes.  I get the Pure protein shakes at Target.  Pure protein is the protein shakes I have used since I had a reaction to Premier Protein shakes right after surgery.  I used the 34 gm protein shakes early on.  That way three shakes a day was 102 gm of protein.  Now I use the 23 gm protein shakes for breakfast since I am able to get most of my protein from food now that I am 1 year out.

No reaction to Quest bars at all.  There is always one in my purse.  I don't eat them every day but they are a good option when I am on the go.  White chocolate raspberry is my favorite!

Since all of these products have whey protein then I don't think my reaction was to the whey in the Premier shakes.  Your reaction could have been to the whey but it could have been something else.

Here is the ingredient list for Premier Protein shakes:

Water, Premier Protein® Shake Protein Blend (Milk Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Isolate) Cocoa Powder (processed with alkali), Contains 1% or less of the following: High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Inulin, Cellulose Gel and Cellulose Gum, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Magnesium Phosphate, DATEM, Salt, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Carrageenan, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Sodium Ascorbate [Vitamin C], Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, dl-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate [Vitamin E], Biotin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Niacinamide, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Phytonadione [Vitamin K], Potassium Iodide, Calcium D-Pantothenate, Chromium Chloride, Cyanocobalamin [Vitamin B12], Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Cholecalciferol [Vitamin D3], Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Riboflavin [Vitamin B2]), Ferric Orthophosphate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C).

CONTAINS: MILK.

Here are the Pure protein ingredients:

Water, Protein Belnd (Milk Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate, Whey Protein Concentrate), Cocoa (processed with alkali), Inulin, Cellulose Gel, Artificial Flavors, Tricalcium Phosphate, Fully Refined Soybean Oil, Sucralose, Cellulose Gum, Salt, Sodium Citrate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Acesulfame Potassium.  Contains Milk and Soy products

5'9", 52 years old, 10 years postop VSG, HW 316 CW 195. Updated 11-12-23

Luvmygs
on 12/8/14 6:13 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Wow, there's alot of stuff in the Premier. I'm definitely going to try the Pure. Thank you so much. Christine

diane S.
on 12/8/14 3:21 am

yikes, no fun.  but there are protein drink mixes that have soy protein or egg protein and not whey.  search the web and health food stores.   yep, whey is from milk that might be the issue.  you can buy special milk for the lactose intollerant - wonder if their is protein powder too.  i had some hemp based protein powder once - tasted horrible.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views