What Should I Know About VSG

Bbinder2002
on 12/19/14 3:33 am

I am in the pre diet stage (insurance required) of a sleeve surgery approval.  Can anyone tell me some things that I might not have read about that I should know about the surgery (both good and bad).  I want the cold hard truth so that I can't say I wish I would have known that.

Brina78
on 12/19/14 4:03 am - San Diego, CA

Hi there :)

Well..we are all different so this is my story :)

I had surgery 07/08/14...I was 299 at my highest weigh in..283 day of surgery..and currently i'm at 225 :)

My surgery and recovery went very smooth...I had no major complications. Just the usual pain of a major surgery :) Only "side effect" i have now is my hair loss..BUT i had so much hair that its something I haven't really freaked out about..it's starting to slow down a bit though...

The hardest part for me has been the learning to really chew my food..and the no drinking and eating rule! Or jugging water after a workout lol But it's nothing that can't be changed:)

Taking a bunch of vitamins will be part of your life as will be protein! So it's something you will have to become use to doing EVERYDAY...it's for your own good really..so the better you stay on top of that..the better you will feel.

Feel free message me directly if you have any specific questions or concerns and I will try to address them if i can :)

Good luck on your journey to weight loss success!

Sabrina :)

Belle Ink
on 12/19/14 5:25 am

I had my sleeve surgery 9/4/14. The thing that I didn't realize is that I have to eat and drink on a schedule to get all my water in and all my protein. My recovery was fairly easy, I haven't thrown up the first time. I did have to sleep in the recliner for a good three weeks, it bothered me to lay on my side for any length of time. I hate sleeping in the recliner and don't sleep on my back, so that was something that I wasn't really anticipating on doing until I had the surgery.

My advice, read everything you can, go to the support group meetings and ask any and all questions you have.

Gwen M.
on 12/19/14 7:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've written about everything since day 1 in my blog.  You're welcome to give it a read.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 12/19/14 8:45 am, edited 12/19/14 8:46 am
VSG on 01/11/16

I'd say worry about getting your water in.. protein will come in time, but for the first few days to a week, I think it's all about staying hydrated. Oh, and the stalls .. stalls WILL happen, they are normal, they suck and everyone experiences it.. just ride it out and stick to your plan. Know your body, listen to it .. after surgery, you should be getting better steadily day by day, If something happens and you start to go backwards and you aren't doing anything off plan or different.. more pain, different pain,feverish..  etc , pay attention to it and call your Dr. if need be. 

Good Luck!

Most Active