hernia repair...swallowing a bowling ball

Wildnwonderful
on 12/21/14 9:51 pm

I had a hiatal hernia repair when I had my VSG surgery on the 17th. Now I am trying to sip, sip, sip like I am suppose to. It feels like I am swallowing a bowling ball. The sip gets to my chest and then I get a ball of pressure right in my chest. It gradually goes down but, it makes it hard to get the fluids and proteins in.

Has anyone else every experienced this? Please tell me it temporary and that I will be able to drink again normally. I am on a phase 2 and do not feel like eating anything. Hope soup counts as liquid too.

Sorry to whine but, its frustrating. Lack of energy and my Blood sugar keeps dropping down to 70 and that make me even more weak.

Superchunk77
on 12/21/14 9:56 pm

YESSSS!  MY surgery was on the 18th and it feels like a sharp pain in my chest everytime I swallow anything.  I am hoping it passes quickly but in the meantime I am taking the anti-spasmatic pills 

Superchunk77
on 12/21/14 9:57 pm

One more thing.. they told me to stick to warm fluids.. just fyi

sTuRnAsCeYt
on 12/21/14 10:29 pm

I had the same thing happen. Yes, it does go away. When I talked to my surgeon, he said that I was taking too large of sips. I told him that I was filling up a medicine dosage cup and sipping on it for 20 minutes, how much smaller can I get?! He told me that I need to continue to take smaller and smaller sips until it doesn't hurt like that. I don't know if I ever really got in small enough sips, but as the swelling goes down, it gets much better. Be patient, because it will keep getting better and better each day.

VSG on 11/12/2014 - - Age: 33   Height: 5'4"   HW: 246  SW: 232.2 

CW: 165.60: 9/25/2015

Wildnwonderful
on 12/22/14 12:35 am

Thanks guys! So glad I am not the only one and it will eventually go away. I'll try the warm liquid. They never said anything about that. I really appreciate the advice.

psychoticparrot
on 12/22/14 12:41 am

Thanks, Wildnwonderful, for posting about your problem. I'm pre-surgery and have a small hiatal hernia. If I have the same difficulty as you, I'll know exactly what is going on and what to do about it. Thanks, all!

psychoticparrot

tstowe
on 12/22/14 2:34 am

At my three month checkup they did an upper GI and found out I had an hiatal hernia. They didn't seem too concerned and everything is fine with Nexium. I'm hoping it will fix itself with more weight loss.

crittemom
on 12/22/14 5:12 am

Had my surgery 12/3/14, also with hernia repair, and had just what you are experiencing. It is slowly going away, but once in awhile will kick up it's ugly head and fight back! Just go really slow. Have you tried popsicles? It seemed to help me, maybe the cool reduced the swelling ? Who knows, but it did help me. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Most Active